Review of Unfinished Business

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Unfinished Business

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unfinished Business" by Ray Dan Parker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Unfinished Business by Ray Dan Parker is a gripping crime thriller that takes readers on a suspenseful journey through the dark secrets of a small town. The story follows Tom, a young reporter who embarks on a trip to his hometown after covering Dr. King's funeral. As he reconnects with his past and reminisces about his childhood, Tom becomes haunted by the wrongful conviction and hanging of his best friend Jimmie, an African man accused of murder.

Haunted by guilt and a desire for justice, Tom realizes that he has unfinished business in his old town. He delves into the mysterious circumstances surrounding the suspicious deaths of his parents, particularly after his father is elected Sheriff and starts cracking down on criminals and their organization. As Tom begins asking questions and getting closer to the truth, he quickly discovers that some will stop at nothing to silence him.

Parker skillfully weaves together multiple storylines, creating a complex and layered narrative that keeps readers hooked from beginning to end. The book is filled with suspenseful twists and turns, constantly leaving readers guessing and eager to uncover the truth alongside Tom. The author effectively builds tension and maintains a fast-paced momentum throughout the story, making it difficult to put the book down.

While the plot is undoubtedly engaging, it is worth noting that the book could have benefited from more professional editing. There are some minor errors throughout the text that, while not detracting from the overall enjoyment, do occasionally disrupt the flow of the narrative. However, the strength of the story and the skillful execution of the suspenseful elements overshadow these flaws. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Unfinished Business is a thought-provoking novel that delves into themes of justice, racial prejudice, and the weight of guilt. Parker's vivid descriptions bring the small town to life, immersing readers in its dark underbelly and effectively capturing the atmosphere of the setting. The characters are well-developed and relatable, with Tom's internal struggle and determination driving the story forward.

In conclusion, Unfinished Business is a compelling crime thriller that will keep readers on the edge of their seats. Despite some minor editing issues, Ray Dan Parker delivers a captivating story filled with suspense, intrigue, and emotional depth. Fans of the genre will find themselves thoroughly engrossed in Tom's quest for truth and justice.

Unfinished Business
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Small towns seem to be excellent settings for thrillers due to the secrets hidden by their inhabitants behind a quiet and friendly facade. I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”