Review of Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim?

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim?" by Daniel Sebata.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata is an intriguing story of Dolly Sibanda. Dolly was born to a single parent in Zimbabwe, where she grew up and married. However, she traveled to the United Kingdom to meet her husband, who had previously journeyed there. Dolly believed a short woman with puppy eyes followed her from Johannesburg, South Africa, to the United Kingdom and was stalking her. Ice, her husband, and others did not believe it. Despite getting pregnant after ten years of trying, the short woman with puppy eyes threatened Dolly's marriage and life. Would Dolly save her marriage? Was the short woman with puppy eyes real? Follow the story to uncover a suspense-filled mystery.

Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? is an exciting and enjoyable read. The author uses it to expose readers to the Zimbabwean economy's deplorable state and the corruption eating deep into African society. The book talks about the mass exodus of Zimbabwe citizens to other countries, including the United Kingdom, due to the biting economic crises. There are mentions of several corrupt practices. One of them is the one thousand pounds bribe money paid by Beans to the immigration officer at the Oliver Tambo International Airport in South Africa to allow them to board the plane to the United Kingdom. There's also the bribe money paid by Ben and his companion to the soldiers guarding the old Limpopo river bridge to gain illegal passage into South Africa. These examples show how economic crises and corruption have ravaged African society.

The author also uses the book to paint an accurate picture of how the belief of being stalked affects a person's life. This can be seen through Dolly's lifestyle changes, from her constant nightmares that led to her sleeping during the day to her continuous paranoia. Readers can understand from this the physical and mental pressures people go through when believing that they are stalked.

The book is suspenseful, including many exciting twists that captivate the reader. However, one thing the author can do to make readers flow better with the story is to separate past events from present ones. One method the author can use is adding dates to the various chapters that address past and present-day events. This is necessary, as it will help readers understand which events have already happened and which are currently happening. Doing this will help readers flow and understand the story better.

Another thing the author should work on is fixing the numerous errors. Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? can use another round of thorough editing. As a result of these issues, I will be deducting two stars from the rating. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of family-centered narratives based on the challenges in African society.

Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I don't know if it's true that she was being stalked or if it was her imagination. African books mostly reveal the evils in African society and I'm not surprised that the author did a good job with this one. I don't think I can be bored reading such a book.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I will enjoy this book. I like mysteries that involve people and their emotions. It will be difficult to deal with the many errors, however. I recently finished reading. A book with multiple errors, but the plot was good.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Several interesting elements are included in a thriller that offers a depiction of Zimbabwe's situation, so it seems to have a great potential. I guess it needs more editing, including proofreading, to fix the problems you pointed out. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”