Review of Girl On Death Row

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of Girl On Death Row

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Girl On Death Row" by Edward Costa.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Jacob Orion has been a criminal psychologist for the past eighteen years, and he performs psychological evaluations on inmates for the state. The high-profile execution inmates unnerved him the most, and Allison's case at the Louisiana Women’s Prison was one of those. He was the voice of these killers, and he had to decode their minds. She killed a five-year-old girl six years ago, and the mother of the little girl disappeared at the same time. As this doesn't seem like a coincidence, Jacob's job was to find out where the mother is before Allison's execution in five days’ time.

She proved to be smarter than he thought she would be, but she was definitely as cold-hearted as he had heard. After his meeting with her, he was intrigued and felt that there was more to her. On his way out, he was confronted by a lady who was claiming the innocence of Allison, yet Allison confessed to the murder. What would unravel in the few days before her execution? Does she know where the mother is or really have no idea, as she claims? Is she really guilty or not? If not, then why would she confess to murdering a five-year-old girl? There are so many questions, and the only way to get answers is to read this book ASAP!

I was intrigued by this book right from the start. What goes on in the mind of someone who can murder a small child? Seeing this book from the perspective of a criminal psychologist and how he goes to work cracking the criminal mind is definitely something worth reading. I enjoyed how he could subtract himself from the situation and his personal feelings to be able to look at the whole picture in front of him. Jacob was also open to listening to others' points of view instead of just focusing on his own research. I believe that in a field like this, being open-minded is one of the biggest positives you can have on your side.

I learned so much from this book, especially how the picture in front of you might not be what it is showing you at all and that you should always trust your gut. There was absolutely nothing that I disliked about this book, and I found no errors at all. This book was an absolute joy to read, although it does have a very dark reason for being. I couldn’t wait to get to the end of this book to learn how all of the puzzle pieces fit together, but I was also disappointed when the book ended, as it meant my journey with this book was over, and I wasn’t ready for that just yet.

I rate Girl On Death Row by Edward Costa a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. There was no reason to give it a lower rating. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy crime thrillers, detective stories, and psychological mysteries.

Girl On Death Row
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The plot, the explanation, the attention to detail and the anticipation created by your review is leading me to read this one as soon as possible.
Great review.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your excellent review. I am glad to hear that you had no criticisms of the book and that it was a joy to read, even though the subject matter was dark. Your recommendation of the book as a must-read for those who enjoy crime thrillers, detective stories, and psychological mysteries is very convincing, and I trust your rating of the book as a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Thank you for writing such a detailed and well-done review that has inspired me to read this book!
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The book seems very interesting and I am sure there is a twist. Could the girl on death row be innocent, and if it is the case, will they ever be able to prove her innocence and save her from execution in such short time? Could the mother be involved in this murder? Your review sparked so many questions; thank you for not giving away the suspense. I guess we just have to read the book.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

This is a really fantastic review and it sounds like a fantastic book too. I really loved how you told the story behind the book. I will add this to my to read list.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Aswin3848 wrote: 27 May 2023, 13:19 The plot, the explanation, the attention to detail and the anticipation created by your review is leading me to read this one as soon as possible.
Great review.
Ah, this means so much to me, thank you! I really enjoyed this book a lot
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Paul Link wrote: 27 May 2023, 13:46 Thank you for your excellent review. I am glad to hear that you had no criticisms of the book and that it was a joy to read, even though the subject matter was dark. Your recommendation of the book as a must-read for those who enjoy crime thrillers, detective stories, and psychological mysteries is very convincing, and I trust your rating of the book as a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Thank you for writing such a detailed and well-done review that has inspired me to read this book!
Thank you so much for your wonderful reply!! This book was really interesting and surprising!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Rob Carr wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 04:12 This is a really fantastic review and it sounds like a fantastic book too. I really loved how you told the story behind the book. I will add this to my to read list.
Let me know what you think of it when you have read it! Thank you for your great reply!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A psychological thriller centered around a woman who allegedly killed a child but might be innocent is certainly intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”