Review of Gothic Revival

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Omobolanle Savage
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Review of Gothic Revival

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gothic Revival" by Michael Mullin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I have personally experienced the unreliability of rekindling friendships after a long period of no contact. It's disconcerting to realize this phenomenon is prevalent everywhere. Gothic Revival by Michael Mullin is a captivating novel that follows the stories of five college friends who shared a passion for writing. However, life after college tested their commitment to writing, leaving only three standing. The characters—Anne (Ginger), Lauren (Bronte), Fiona (Woodstock), Chris (Mowgli), and Eric (Gregor)—are beautifully portrayed. Chris and Eric pursue writing, with Eric's book becoming a success, while Chris neglects promoting his own work. Lauren, on the other hand, has written two books and is a professor.

Eventually, Eric invites the others to a reunion weekend with the aim of reenacting the competition that birthed "Frankenstein." At this reunion, they would each create a ghost story for him to publish. However, Lauren and Anne are skeptical and reluctant to participate after Chris told them what Eric planned. On the last day of the reunion, Lauren makes a shocking discovery, leading to unexpected events. What did she uncover? Is Eric's motive for organizing the reunion commendable? Find out in this enthralling novel that left me captivated long after I finished reading it.

Notably, Gothic Revival also deepened my understanding of the movie "Frankenstein," shedding light on its original author and the origins of its story. Furthermore, the book introduces another literary work resulting from the same competition—a vampire tale predating "Dracula." These intriguing details underscore the author's meticulous research and contribute to the overall allure of the narrative. As a book lover, I found myself contemplating whether Gothic Revival could be classified as historical fiction due to its incorporation of factual elements.

Eric's character is particularly intriguing, as he possesses a manipulative yet likable nature. He exudes a certain charisma that draws the group towards him, yet his actions raise suspicions. Despite this, the group still holds a fondness for Eric. However, my personal favorites among the characters are Chris and Anne, the couple within the circle of friends. Their interactions are filled with authenticity, including occasional disagreements that make their relationship relatable. Their shared wit and humor add depth to their personalities, and their understanding of one another is truly admirable.

Friendship, betrayal, and love emerge as resounding themes throughout the book. The foundation of the story is built upon the complex interplay between friendship and betrayal, which becomes more apparent as the plot unfolds. Anne and Fiona's unwavering support for Lauren during her moments of emotional instability beautifully exemplifies the strength of friendship. Additionally, Anne's loyalty to Fiona when Chris and Lauren doubt her ability to hear and see ghosts further underscores the power of genuine camaraderie.

Michael expertly develops each character, leaving no aspect of their backgrounds unexplored. His skillful storytelling keeps readers engaged as the plot gradually unfolds, building suspense and leaving us in anticipation of what will come next. Fiona's character plays a vital role in heightening the overall sense of suspense. Each chapter is named after one of the key characters and is written in the third-person narrative style, adding to the rich tapestry of the storytelling.

I found no errors in this book, which speaks highly of the flawless editing. Consequently, I have no dislikes and give Gothic Revival five out of five stars. This thrilling and suspenseful novel is highly recommended for fans of plot-driven mysteries. I guarantee you won't put it down until you've reached the final page.

Gothic Revival
View: on Bookshelves
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

A good gothic novel is always exciting and this does sound like one that is hard to put down. Thanks for the informative review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am really excited by the prospect of reading this book. Competition certainly ups my game; it’s probably the same for others. I also appreciate knowing about Anne’s supportive nature.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller full of twists based on a group of old friends whose backstories and personalities are developed throughout the novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”