Review of Young Americans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Review of Young Americans

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Young Americans" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tommy was a troubled young man who was in his early twenties. He grew up in a typical household with his parents and older brother, Steve. His upbringing was not rosy as he was molested from the tender age of seven, and his parents refused to believe him. Growing up, he wanted to be self-sufficient and move far away from home. At nineteen, he dropped out of university. His reasons for ditching university were that he stood a much better chance of being a young millionaire as a hustler than a university graduate. He started by selling weed and moved into the cocaine business. He soon realized that there was more money in cocaine and associated himself with dangerous people. Read Young Americans by Peter S. Rush to find out if Tommy made his millions or whether he ended up in prison.

Reading this book was a pleasant experience because it was exceptionally edited and flowed smoothly. I only picked up one typographical error.

My overall rating of the book is 5 out of 5 stars. Character development is one aspect I truly liked. Watching Tommy step up and grow in each scene warmed my heart. Although I do not like the life he chose, I like how he was honest in his dealings. He was fair in his dealings, never undercutting his business associates, and always honored his commitments. The other supporting characters also executed their roles exceptionally well and brought the stories to life. There are many lessons that readers can extract from this book. This book depicts the actual events of a drug dealer’s life. The violence, the shootings, the prison life, and the lavish life they struggle to maintain.

This book has reminded me of the importance of staying away from drugs. They not only cause havoc in the dealers’ life but also wreak havoc in communities. The only part I did not enjoy was the excessive use of profane terms. However, considering the storyline and the characters, these were to be expected.

This novel is only suitable for a mature audience as it contains sex scenes that are inappropriate for younger audiences. Sexual violence is mentioned a few times in the book, and these scenes might be a trigger for other readers. If you are curious about the nightlife, drug smuggling, prison life, and the lives of some drug dealers, this book is the book to read.

Young Americans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The story ot at least a major part of it resonates with a majority of the youth today. Hope this is an eyeopener for them.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This book is so current and relevant. It touches on real events. I hope people, especially young ones, will learn from it. Awesome review!
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

The relevance of this book is vital. This is a major societal issue that many people are struggling with. I'm enticed to read more to find out what happens. The theme is powerful and valuable. Thank you for writing such a captivating review, Nquobile!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
alejandro melean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by alejandro melean »

Young Americans" by Peter S. Rush is an enthralling coming-of-age narrative that masterfully captures the spirit of youth and the intricate journey of growing up in America. Through the lens of its protagonists, Rush adeptly delves into themes of self-discovery, camaraderie, and the pursuit of aspirations. The narrative is brimming with relatable, multi-dimensional characters that will strike a chord with readers of all generations. With its sincere and emotionally resonant storytelling, "Young Americans" is a contemplative and enduring novel that leaves an indelible mark. Rush's narrative talent shines brilliantly, making it essential reading for those in search of a poignant and memorable tale. :techie-studyinggray:
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Tommy was struggling with his life as he has been abused as a child, and his parents had not believed him when he asked for help. Soon, he got involved with dangerous people while trying to become independent and successful.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like books where the bad guy, the one dealing with drugs, is actually a likeable character. It shows that there is good in everyone - and even a crook can be fair and correct in his business deals. Happy to have received a free copy, I will surely read the book.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm uninterested in nightlife, drug smuggling, and prison life contained in this book, hence, I'll skip it. I hope that Tommy was not too late to change for the better. I'm certain that the lessons this book has will remind all people that drugs can ruin life. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Supriya Thukral
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supriya-thukral.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Supriya Thukral »

This book sounds like a fascinating read. The childhood struggles faced by people are what shapes them into the adults they are. This review mentions the highlights of the story and what stood out while reading it. Thanks for the informative review!
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

Watching Tommy step up and grow in each scene warmed my heart. Although I do not like the life he chose, I like how he was honest in his dealings. He was fair in his dealings, never undercutting his business associates, and always honored his commitments. The other supporting characters also executed their roles exceptionally well and brought the stories to life.
- I agree. Though Tommy was promoting wrong, he was doing right, by it. Tgank you for your excellent review.
Suvankar Das 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suvankar-das-1.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Suvankar Das 1 »

Thank you for sharing the review of "Young Americans" by Peter S. Rush. It seems like a book that provides an engaging and gritty look into the life of its protagonist, Tommy, and the harsh realities of the drug trade. The character development and the portrayal of the challenges Tommy faces add depth to the story. However, the mature content and the frequent use of profanity should be noted by potential readers.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Childhood affects the path a person takes later in life. It is evident that Tommy's abusive childhood has affected his way of thinking and pushed him into a life of crime. This sounds like a sad yet thrilling read. Thanks for the amazing review.
Fredrick Muchiri 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Fredrick Muchiri 2 »

This book is an eye opener and sheds alot of light in the dangers of indulgence in drugs a reality, Tommy being in and out of trouble severally creates a scenario of awareness of the danger of being in gangs that are lawless. Over all and in general the exposure of ill health is also well unfolded. I recommend this book to every mature and appropriate growing soul...
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Young Americans is a story of Tommy who traverse down a dangerous path in the hope of making quick bucks. The story speaks about the dangers surrounding the dark path he has chosen. It also talks about child abuse and how it shapes the affected child' future.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Tommy's story seems tragic, starting with the darkness he experienced since his childhood. His involvement in the drug world seems almost inevitable, and he went through and through, being in danger and being in prison, with the additional darkness that all of that brought him. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”