Review of Deadly Kalimantan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of Deadly Kalimantan

Post by Donna Walker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Kalimantan" by Charles Glenn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Deadly Kalimantan by Charles Glenn, the story is primarily told from the perspective of the main character. Steve Hartshorn meets Tim on a plane, and they quickly become travel buddies, exploring numerous places in Bali together. To navigate the area, they hire an Indonesian driver named Made. Seeking to escape his troubled past, Steve decides to stay in Bali, embracing a one-way ticket and leaving behind a life where those around him often met tragic ends. He believes he is cursed. Meanwhile, knowing that his return to New York is imminent, Tim sees an opportunity to make the trip profitable. He opts to purchase unique wooden tables to sell back home. This choice leads the new friends to Kalimantan, where they encounter Australian businessman Jimmy. Unbeknownst to them, local crime boss Swandira has already set his sights on Jimmy as his next kidnapping target. Tim and Steve find themselves entangled in this dangerous situation. As all this unfolds, Steve's old flame, Donna, arrives in Bali in search of her long-lost love. Will they all manage to leave the island alive?

My main critique of this book is its slow-burn nature. It takes nearly half the book for the story to even begin to move along. The initial sections read more like a detailed travel journal, making me contemplate whether to continue reading. However, I must commend author Charles Glenn for his deep knowledge of Bali and Indonesia. The vivid descriptions of places, customs, food, and imagery transported me, creating a strong sense of immersion. Yet, I still found the first half to lean more towards a travelogue than a thrilling novel.

Deadly Kalimantan is the second installment in a series, and I regret not being advised to read the first book beforehand. I feel that I missed out on significant character development and background stories for Steve. Consequently, this book does not work as a standalone novel. In one chapter, Tim confides in a priest about his past and the tragic death of his wife. It made me wonder why I was reading this comparatively slow and mundane story instead of the presumably action-packed narrative of the first book. The introduction of Sarah and Donna only added to my confusion, as their conversations failed to fill in the gaps in the storyline from the previous novel.

Once the story gains momentum, the action becomes intense and well-paced, featuring unexpected twists. This shift elevated my enjoyment, redeeming the overall reading experience. However, it is unfortunate that it took until after the halfway mark of the book for substantial events to occur.

It is worth mentioning that this book has undergone professional editing. Considering the aforementioned points, I rate Deadly Kalimantan 3 out of 5 stars. Initially, it fell short as a thriller for me. Perhaps reading the first book would have warranted an extra star, but the sluggish pacing in the first half makes a 5-star rating impossible to consider.

I recommend this book to those who have read and enjoyed the first novel, Deadly Triangle. It may also appeal to readers seeking to expand their knowledge of the Indonesian region, as it offers valuable insights. However, it should be noted that the book lacks the intensity of an action thriller until the later stages. It is also worth noting that this novel contains profanity throughout, derogatory slurs towards homosexuals, and some graphic violence in the latter stages, making it not suitable for younger audiences.

Deadly Kalimantan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Judith Nyangoma 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Judith Nyangoma 1 »

From the introduction of the book, it sounds an interesting book because, each of the characters seems to have a story to tell. Take the example of Steve who feels those around him embrace a sort of tragic. The gap she is talking about, I guess, it is because anxiety to know what is happening next.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The first book's review already gave me the impression that the author liked to digress, this sequel confirms that. I guess this series is suitable for people who like to go in-depth into the setting and at least with some characters. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”