Review of The House on Tyner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Review of The House on Tyner

Post by Kelsey Roy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The House on Tyner" by Matthew O’Connell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The House on Tyner is a paranormal mystery novel by Matthew O'Connell. Jackson Taylor is a former professional baseball player. He was a star pitcher for the Padres in the MBA until his life turned upside down when his wife and children tragically died in a car accident. After this incident, Jackson left baseball and sought to fulfill his wife's dream of opening a restaurant near Tahoe. Jackson moved to the small village of Incline, where he bought a restaurant space and a gorgeous home with a tragic past. As Jackson moved into his dream home, he noticed some odd occurrences. Could the house's former events be responsible for these unexplainable phenomena? Could Jackson find the root of the problem, or would he succumb to the fates of previous owners?

What I enjoyed most about this book was the wild and unpredictable plot twists. Initially, the storyline seemed straightforward, with a few crucial revelations here and there. But just when I thought the story was coming to a close, bam! Without revealing any spoilers, I'll mention that this is an excellent mystery novel with a plot twist that will leave you in disbelief.

Additionally, I enjoyed the mystery and crime element of this ghost story. The author did not intend to provide a performative or embellished representation of the paranormal. Instead, he allows the readers to feel the terrifying reality of encountering an apparition. Jackson did not see a growling beast, demon, or malicious presence. However, the young girl appearing in his home was so out of place and beyond logical explanation that it terrified him. Many readers may relate to this feeling or have similar experiences.

I found nothing to dislike about this novel. This book has undergone professional editing. The plot build-up may seem too slow for some readers, although I enjoyed the winding journey into action. I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery novel.

I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars. This novel is well-written and professionally edited, as previously stated. I enjoyed the plot's steady build-up. My eyes were glued to the pages by the end of the book. The author included many plot twists and turns to keep readers engaged throughout the novel.

I recommend this book to readers interested in ghost stories, mystery novels, and crime thrillers. Although this novel dives into the paranormal realm, it is not traditionally scary. Occasional violent scenes occur within the plot, and I found a fair amount of profanity that leads me to caution young readers. As someone who often shies away from ghost stories due to cheesiness, I wholeheartedly recommend this book, as it is a decidedly realistic portrayal of the paranormal.

The House on Tyner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

Sounds like it was a really fun read. It's quite hard to make plot twists genuinely unpredictable and still feel like they fit the story!
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

A horror / thriller that mixes a crime story with supernatural apparitions that can be terrifying seems engaging with great tension and suspsense. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I loved that the paranormal elements didn’t overcome the plot or make it cheesy. Good read!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”