Review of Sonata for Flute and Electric Drill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Sonata for Flute and Electric Drill

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sonata for Flute and Electric Drill" by John Harrison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sonata for Flute and Electric Drill by John Harrison is an intricate tale of the many people and moving parts involved in the drug trade during the 1960s in Australia. Inspired by the 1989 Fitzgerald Inquiry, Harrison shares the stories of the corrupt individuals who participated in illegal activities and the men of integrity who helped reveal and bring down the key players involved. Read to discover how some heroes suffer the consequences of hasty decisions while some not-quite-innocent bystanders walk away with fortunes unscathed.

I appreciated how Harrison depicts the detailed lives of people in each aspect of the drug trade on the rise. He starts with the tales of the corrupt and a few victims of poor choices in troubled circumstances. From the ground up, you see the foundation building as a leading detective pulls together a team to help distribute drugs without getting caught. It was fascinating to see the connections take root as the reader learns about the drug route from its origin to the hands that will distribute the product. Of course, there is also the pleasure of learning about the incorruptible officers who make it their mission to put a stop to the trade. I enjoyed Barry McTaggart and his determination to make things right, especially after making a questionable decision.

While I enjoyed Harrison’s stories, the overarching plot was hard to follow. Most of the book introduced numerous characters and shared their very detailed backstories before moving on to what should have been the main story. Unfortunately, each time the pursuit of the criminals heated up, the author would take another detour to introduce another character. These individuals played a minor role but often faded out of the picture, so it was difficult to determine who the protagonist or central character was supposed to be. The book was also non-linear and tricky to follow, with chapters jumping back and forth years in various intervals from one storyline to another before returning to the inquiry into the drug trade mess.

The book was well-edited, and I enjoyed the author’s writing style. Still, I felt disconnected from the story and the characters. I wasn’t satisfied by the end because certain characters, like Scotty Ferguson, didn’t get as much screen time as I would have liked. Scotty’s involvement in the story was the most suspenseful, but I was disappointed as he faded from the main plot despite his vital role. The ending was conclusive for the most part and made for an entertaining read. Therefore, I give Sonata for Flute and Electric Drill three out of five stars.

I’d recommend this book to those who like to learn about individual characters through interconnected stories. Readers who like non-traditional crime novels may also enjoy the unique way Harrison shares the intricacies of the Australian crime scene in the 1960s. The author’s straightforward writing style made it easy to follow the individual plot lines, and the added suspense was a delight. Non-borderline swearing and moderate sexual content exist within the book.

Sonata for Flute and Electric Drill
View: on Bookshelves
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Thanks for the honest review. I get really fed up with books when they build you up to a dramatic moment, and then suddenly shift you into another characters story line, destroying the suspense.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I confess I know nothing of what happened in Australia during the 1960s, so this book could give me some information through some interconnected crime stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”