Review of The Chaos Spiral

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Chaos Spiral

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chaos Spiral" by Adam “Doc” Brackin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Chaos Spiral by Adam Brackin follows the story of Dr. Arthur Evans, an archaeologist who previously discovered Noah's Ark with his partner Wyatt Aarons. Despite shutting the door on adventures, he is persuaded to embark on a new quest with a warning from his partner. Dr. Evans forms a team consisting of his grandson, David, Reverend Father Matthew, Mel Chien (a woman with abundant resources), and a team of six individuals. Their mission is to uncover the truth behind the mysteries of Noah's Ark, Gilgamesh, the Garden of Eden, and Sir Arthur Evans' theory on the Minotaurs. However, their discoveries put them on the run as someone else seeks to hijack their discoveries and take credit for the findings.

The author skillfully navigates different times and places in the book without confusing the reader. The transitions between Dr. Evans' past journey with Aarons, the present day, and Mel and her company are well-executed and engaging.

While the story delves into various scientific, religious, and mythological concepts, the abundance of explanations can make the book feel slow-paced. Though lovers of mythology and science may not have an issue with the book in this area, a character known as "man in the suit" or Mr. Suit, whose actions add excitement and anticipation to the story, can't be overlooked. This might be because he only knows a little about the entire archaeological and mythological concept. However, his role is weird yet integral to the plot.

The author employs simple, choppy sentences to convey the different narratives in the book, especially the dialogues. While this simplicity is good, it can also complicate the reading experience. Some sentences can flow naturally without being broken down, and using transition words can help maintain clarity. A good example is David's description of Arthur: "Come to think of it, Arthur kind of reminded him of modern Gandalf. With a shorter beard. And a more practical hat." (Page 41).

The book raises thought-provoking questions about Christianity and challenges the stories presented in the Bible. It dares to question whether the contents of the Bible are indeed the absolute truth or if the entire story is told from just one angle. However, the author does not do this in a way that can be offensive. Also, the book's core theme does not center on religion; anyone from any religion can read the book.

The Chaos Spiral is a book that will appeal to historical mysteries and archaeology enthusiasts. It is exceptionally edited, but using simple, choppy tenses in some parts is a little awkward. Also, some parts are slow-paced. However, I will only remove a point due to these issues. Therefore, I rate the book a 4 out of 5.

The Chaos Spiral
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This sounds like my kind of book. Dr. Evan’s trying to give up his professional endeavors, but being sucked back in, rings true. I think that I would enjoy the simplicity.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

I thought they had already discovered Noah's ark. Now they're after the mysteries? Thats nice. I'd also love to know their findings as I am curious about the stories in the bible. How big the ark was since it took so long to build? Did it have compartments, etc.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”