Review of The Covenant Sacrifice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Review of The Covenant Sacrifice

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Covenant Sacrifice" by Lee Allen Howard.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered why the most religious people suffer the worst things? The towns that claim to be most religious and faithful to their faith always produce the worst people and situations. The Covenant Sacrifice by Lee Allen Howard is a horror-gay-romance-themed book that features dark fiction, supernatural crime, and psychological thrillers. A curse looms over the city, and nobody has the faintest idea about it. My first perception of the book as I read it was that it was yet another Christian book here to offer up a twisted aspect to the stories in the Bible, but that was very far from the case. Yes, the book has religious, Christian-based content, but the author didn't try to offer his perspective on what religion should be like. It left me with a question: why aren't there Quran-based books?

The book stars Jarod and Scotty as the superstars of the show. Jarod Huntingdon is a male nurse specializing in wound dressing who wants nothing more than to settle down and have his own family. The author emphasizes his desire for children when he introduces his bond with Jonathan, a frail infant abandoned in the hospital because they were unsure he'd make it through the night. On the other hand, Scotty is an act-now, think-later, spontaneous type of guy. He stayed in their hometown, Annastasis Creek. Jarod travels to his hometown to pay his last respects to his then-best friend's late father; this introduces the drama and events that took place afterward.

Reading through Jarod's life, I couldn't help but feel the void he felt. It felt like those moments where you know something is missing but can't quite tell what it is or how to get it. Sometimes you see what it is but cannot accept it. If you want to know Jarod's dilemma, grab a copy of this book. The book further introduces dear Rev. Uriah, or the crazy psycho, as I often referred to him as I read the book. What gives people the right to decide who lives or dies? What would make anyone think they have the right to judge another for their sins? This crazy psycho felt like he had the right to pass these judgements. If you want to know the full details of this book and why I call him a crazy psycho, grab this book.

The author did an excellent job of introducing the events in this book. He carefully planned and drafted this book's plot and contents, and I genuinely commend him for it. The aspect that first appealed to me was the introduction of Twylah, the witch. I have always loved books with the concept of someone being able to see a tiny bit of the future and dropping hints on how to solve the pressing problems at hand. Another thing that intrigued me about this book is the author's writing style. I have never loved books written from the third person's point of view. It makes me feel like a bystander and very separate from the book, but with Lees's writing, I could barely notice that it was written in narration. I could flow effortlessly with the book while screaming at Uriah whenever his part would come up. I love how vividly the author introduced the veiny-winged demons. I loved Jarod's personality; he carried his role gracefully and excellently.

I disliked nothing about the book, although the description of the slime and cocoon felt off-putting to me. I loved the blend of romance sprinkled throughout the book. It was excellently edited. Based on the above points, I rate this book five out of five stars. It will likely appeal to lovers of the horror genre. If you're not bothered by the LGBTQIA community, you'll enjoy this book.

The Covenant Sacrifice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I was with you right up until you mentioned romance. It’s my least favorite aspect of any book. I am very excited to find out more about Jarod and Rev. Uriah.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

It always is the most religious people that end up doing the most. You really need to be wary of people that don't have boundaries and can do anything for what they believe in. It is good to be motivated and stick to your commitments, but anyone without a boundary or a line that shouldn't be crossed in its pursuit should stay very far from me. I guess Rev Uriah fits into this description.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

A horror story with some complexities in the serious themes it addresses seems interesting and I'm curious to know how the story is developed. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”