Review of Black Wing Sky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Black Wing Sky

Post by Temi Book »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Wing Sky" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story begins with an ongoing conflict between Lucifer and God (His Archangels), sparked by Lucinda, Lucifer’s daughter, who is determined to prove herself worthy of the throne. Lucinda is an exceedingly malicious individual, constantly eyeing the throne and willing to go to any lengths to secure it. Simultaneously, another battle unfolds within Nexus. Blade Saxe arrives in Middle Earth to retrieve Samara Daemonium, chosen as the Valkyrie to aid in the war against Vetis Kidadl, the Black Dragon. Nexus is a city inhabited by a variety of species alongside humans, and those in power often keep dragons as pets and for dangerous entertainment. These dragons, now under the control of the Black Dragon, seek vengeance.

In the novel, Sam—aas she is referred to—eescapes the clutches of Lucifer, who sadistically used her as his sexual slave. Regrettably, she couldn't rescue her son, Papillion, fathered by Lucifer, as he plunged into the lake of fire and transformed into a dragon. Furthermore, Sam becomes entwined in a love triangle involving Blade, the man who supported her during her lowest moments, and her soulmate, Damian Hunter, who once betrayed her but seeks redemption. How far will Lucinda go to seize the throne? Will Lucifer surrender to God? Can Sam reunite with her son and put an end to the Nexus War? Who will she choose between Blade and Damian? For answers to these questions, delve into the intriguing novel Black Wing Sky.

Kaylin McFarren's skill as a writer shines through, making Black Wing Sky a captivating work. While I personally would have preferred to start with the first book in the series—tthis being the fourth installment, as noted in the initial reviews—tthe novel still holds its own. It seamlessly blends genres like thriller, action, erotica, love, forgiveness, and secrets. Sam emerges as a remarkably resilient and admirable character, maintaining her courage despite the ordeals she faced in Lucifer's realm. Her relationship with Damian serves as a powerful illustration of the consequences of infidelity.

Lucifer, portrayed as a complex character, displays moments of humor and vulnerability despite being presented as dangerous. Did you know that "Lucifer" means the light bearer? This intriguing tidbit is revealed in the novel. Additionally, Lucifer's explanation for Lucinda's malicious nature, potentially stemming from her lack of a maternal figure during her upbringing, serves as a valuable lesson on the importance of parental figures. It reminds us not to deprive children of such figures except in circumstances beyond our control, as it profoundly impacts them.

While I appreciated many aspects, some elements left me unsettled. Firstly, numerous characters lacked sufficient backstory, making it challenging for readers to connect with them. Additionally, certain plot points, such as Sam's wings being severed during her battle with Vetis Kidadl, were not adequately depicted. I hope the author addresses such areas in the future. At times, the plot seemed to veer off course, causing confusion. Consequently, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. While I encountered a few errors, they didn't hinder my overall reading experience.

I would recommend Black Wing Sky to those who relish fictional tales centered around mythical creatures such as demons, angels, and dragons. It's important to note that the book includes explicit sexual content, so individuals who might find this triggering may want to approach it with caution.

Black Wing Sky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Michael Gambo »

The fight involving angels, demons, dragons, and other mythical creatures, as well as the setting of Nexus, a city where humans coexist with a variety of other species, provide readers with a fascinating and vivid world to explore. This varied setting gives the plot richness and makes room for a variety of tensions and relationships.
Mehul P
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

I've always been a bit picky when it comes to books. This book seems to satisfy all my checkmarks.
RutvikPatel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rutvikpatel.html
Latest Review: The River of Cheese by Amanda Jane Lowles

Post by RutvikPatel »

Your review of "Black Wing Sky" by Kaylin McFarren provides a detailed and engaging analysis of the novel's plot, characters, and themes.You effectively set the stage by introducing the central conflict between Lucifer and God and the ambitions of Lucinda, Lucifer's daughter, to prove herself worthy of the throne. This provides readers with essential context for the story's unfolding events.Your mention of Sam's traumatic experiences at the hands of Lucifer and her quest to reunite with her son adds depth to the review and highlights the emotional complexity of the narrative. You also touch upon the love triangle involving Sam, Blade, and Damian, emphasizing the tension and choices faced by the protagonist.
Stephen Pokoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

Your review of "Black Wing Sky" by Kaylin McFarren is super. I now have a better knowledge of the book and its themes thanks to your insightful comments. For other readers, it's a useful guide. I appreciate you providing this insightful criticism.
MR Dicks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MR Dicks »

As I read it leads me to understand that the book is mostly about lucifer & how he keeps his family on the surface of the throne of God
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

I haven't been reading C/T/M/H novel, but I believe there are lessons to be learnt from them. This is a captivating and mind-hacking read with a compelling review and I long to read this book and see what you've read.
I like your review. Good job.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I appreciate how this book involves many different mythical beings; your review is heavily detailed, you successfully explained the strengths and negatives of Black Wing Sky. I understand why the lack of character development can lower your rating.
Good job!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”