Review of It cries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sara Rispo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Review of It cries

Post by Sara Rispo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It cries" by John J.DeLeo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard the tales and legends shared by your elders? The ones that speak of eerie and frightening events that occur in the dark woods. Lindsey and Joy, who have been close friends since childhood, have vivid memories of such stories. One day, after reminiscing about them, they decide to venture into the woods and uncover the truth behind those tales. However, they soon realize that the forest is filled with risks that they had not anticipated. As they delve deeper into the mysteries, they discover that some stories are not mere fantasies and that the more they uncover, the more questions arise.

It Cries: Don’t Go Alone by John J. DeLeo is a story full of mysteries, unsolved crimes, and supernatural occurrences. The book follows the story of two best friends, Lindsey and Joy, who share an unbreakable bond and help each other navigate through the obstacles they face. Their deep and sincere friendship was a breath of fresh air in this dark adventure narrated by the author.

Overall, I found the book to be quite intriguing, and it kept me invested until the very end. I was eager to unravel the secrets of the haunted forest. However, there were a couple of things that I didn’t enjoy about the book.

Firstly, Lindsey and Joy are portrayed as being almost thirty years old. However, their conversations were often juvenile and didn’t match their age. Rather than sounding like adults, they come across as teenagers.

Secondly, the ending of the book felt rushed and left me feeling unsatisfied. Even if the book itself is not that long, it is developed quite well. However, just as the story reaches its climax, the reader is left with only a brief explanation of what happens next. I believe the last few pages could have been more detailed to provide a better ending for the book.

In conclusion, I decided to rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. It was professionally edited, as I found only a few errors. Also, it was an easy read, and the idea behind the story was captivating. However, I personally think it could have been narrated in a better way.

If you have a low tolerance for violent scenes and gore, it is advised that you avoid reading this book.

It cries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

This gripping narrative evokes the thrill of venturing into the unknown, with Lindsey and Joy's friendship as the shining light amidst eerie mysteries. It's a page-turner that beautifully blends the nostalgia of childhood tales with the spine-tingling reality of the woods. John J. DeLeo masterfully weaves a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, making you question the line between fiction and reality with every turn of the page.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel uses some classic tropes of the horror genre to create a story that seems mostly engaging but with some flaws. Possibly, more editing would improve the story. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

I haven't been reading C/T/M/H novel, but I believe there are lessons to be learnt from them. This is a captivating and mind-hacking read with a compelling review and I long to read this book and see what you've read.
I like your review.
Good job.
Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-ogechukwu-bianca.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca »

Another great suspenseful thriller novel potentially ruined by a rushed ending. Will still definitely check it out and decide for myself. Thank you on an honest review
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I like that you pointed out their conversations did not match their intended age. This is something I have been paying more attention to and is a pet peeve! Sounds like a decent plot though!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”