Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Nimra Kiran »

When it comes to Thrill, horror and mystery, I cannot find a good match other than Edgar Allan Poe. His short stories, poems etc are so out of this world and truly they are not meant for everyone to read. If you're truly seeking horror and thrill, go for him he won't disappoint you. Read his story The Black Cat, The Tell-tale Heart and you'll discover him further in The Premature Burial.

Good Luck! :o
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Here are some, from my list!

"The Godfather" by Mario Puzo
"The Silence of the Lambs" by Thomas Harris
"The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides
"Bird Box" by Josh Malerman
"The Hound of the Baskervilles" by Arthur Conan Doyle
"In the Woods" by Tana French

My all time favourite is The Godfather!! <3
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I am currently reading A Kitchen Painted in Blood. So I guess the name is enough to get yourselves ready for this thriller!
I am already hooked to this, as a fan of thrillers and crime and the way writer has described every kinds detail in this book. That's so much intriguing. :!2:
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

My two go-to authors are Stephen King and Michael Connelly. I think I've read everything Stephen King wrote. I think my favorite was IT with the trilogy about the Mercedes Killer being a close second. Michael Connelly writes almost exclusively about Detective Harry Bosch (full name Hieronymous Bosch after the painter). We follow his career from the early days to past retirement, in the latest book he is working with Detective Ballard in the newly re-opened open-unsolved unit, or cold case unit. One of my favorites by Michael Connelly is The Poet. It is the first book of his that I read at the recommendation of a bookstore employee who asked what kind of books I liked. It is an excellent mystery/crime/thriller. I enjoy any good crime/mystery novel as well as Stephen King's horror genre. I've had a hard time getting through his latest, Fairy Tale because there is so much fantasy/sci-fi involved.

I read other genres at times but usually just a different feel. Louise Penny is a good example of this. There is crime/murder involved in almost every book and some mystery to go with it. But it's at least as much about the story behind the characters in a small town in Quebec.

I love to read. These are some of my favorites but there are many more. I read The Attunist Trilogy as the first three books I read when I joined OBC. Gary B.Hailey is a good suspense author as well and I enjoyed all three books. The kind you can't put down.

In summary, if it's a well-written Crime/Suspense/Mystery/Thriller, chances are I'm going to like it. I was a psychotherapist for many years and retired early due to health issues. I can't think of anything to tell about myself, with the exception of the fact that in general, I'm an adrenaline junkie. When I was younger, for example, I bungee jumped twice. And I want to do it again. Maybe therein lies the connection between who I am and what I read!
Granthome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Granthome »

I'm finally hopping on the Paul Trembly train. Head Full of Ghosts is amazing! I am definitely leaning more toward horror books lately and this one is hitting the spot.
Nicole Costanza
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-costanza.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nicole Costanza »

Are there any Natasha Preston fans here? I ADORE her books! I can normally read her stories in one sitting because I can't turn the pages fast enough to see what happens!
"She reads books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live." :techie-studyinggray:
HappyCamp3r_33
Currently Reading: Home Before Dark
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HappyCamp3r_33 »

The book I'm about to start is a Mystery Thriller called Home Before Dark by Riley Sager, I'm super excited to read this book and look forward to anyone who's familiar or have read it and has insight on their perspectives of it. I will post my review once I finish reading it.. :lol:
HappyCamp3r_33
Currently Reading: Home Before Dark
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HappyCamp3r_33 »

:techie-studyingbrown: Has anyone read Home Before Dark by Riley Sager? It's what I'm about to start and I'm extremely excited to dive into it.. ❤️
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Usually I delete books in my Kindle once finished but there are a few I have kept to reread.
The Witch's Tree by Elena Collins - just different and good thriller with a tad of horror
Rock Paper Scissors - Alice Feeney -keeps you guessing until the end. Good reread to see if you pick up on hints
Let Me In - Claire McGowan - not just another "couple fixes up old house and things happen"
Plus most of Freida McFadden
Jennifer Yöda Bishop
Currently Reading: Hans Majest&auml;ts Drake
Bookshelf Size: 903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-y-da-bishop.html
Latest Review: AfterLife by E. Vince
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Jennifer Yöda Bishop »

I have read all of Riley Sager's books and would love to chat about them! The only one I'm not a huge fan of is Lock Every Door. It's still good, but it's definitely his worst in my opinion.

The rest of his books are amazing though! I always compare them to an adult Scooby-Doo type plot. You never know until the very end who the culprit is, but you're going to go on a ride as you find out. It's absolutely amazing how he keeps me on my toes every time!
But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” - ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19:26‬ ‭ESV‬‬
Latest Review: AfterLife by E. Vince

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”