Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fabiha_N
Favorite Book: The Girl In The Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Fabiha_N »

I agree, I've read a lot of thrillers from him and they're amazing. He's a master storyteller at these.
Na5+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Na5+ »

the best I have come across latey is Davied Baldacci and of course the GREAT Tom Clancy I have read eveyone of his books.
Fabiha_N
Favorite Book: The Girl In The Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Fabiha_N »

mmm.. I've heard of them. I haven't read much of Baldacci or Clancy but if I come across any of their books, I'll give it a try, thanks!
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I'm reading Different Seasons by Stephen King for the first time. It is some of his best work. This is a book of novellas, three of which have been made into great films: The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, and Stand By Me. As is often the case the books are as good or better than the films they inspired. King has a reputation of being a writer of horror novels, but these stories are less horror and more suspense/thrillers. If you haven't yet read this collection, I highly recommend it!
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Winona16
Currently Reading:

Post by Winona16 »

Try reading Lisa Jewell's Then She was Gone, Chevy Stevens' Never Knowing and Holly Jackson's A Good Girl's Guide to Murder.
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

The Woman in the Window is a great, riveting read. It keeps the reader in suspense until the very end. If you love thrillers you will definitely love this book.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I would recommend Lines and Shadows by Joseph Wambaugh. It's about undercover Border Patrol between during the 1970's, if I remember correctly. It is interesting and informative and not really hard to read.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Edgar Allen Poe is sometimes credited as the first detective story writer and almost all of his stories are worth reading. The short story, The Gold-Bug was supposed to have been his first detective story but did not include Detective Dupin who appears in his three most well-known detective stories.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

I truly appreciate books by Sue Grafton. The one I recently read, well, re-read is M is for Malice. Loved it!
Damien Breslin

Post by Damien Breslin »

If you want to thrilled along the way Matthew Rielly is the best the series start with the 7 ancient wonders his hero Jack West is a super hero where you can't stop yourself rooting for him
brianbanton
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Freakonomics
Bookshelf Size: 63
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by brianbanton »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 23:13 Edgar Allen Poe is sometimes credited as the first detective story writer and almost all of his stories are worth reading. The short story, The Gold-Bug was supposed to have been his first detective story but did not include Detective Dupin who appears in his three most well-known detective stories.
I have to jump on the Poe bandwagon myself. Maybe it's required since I'm from Richmond (less to brag about than it once was), but do have a rather vintage edition of his complete works.
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

Fabiha_N wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 19:37 mmm.. I've heard of them. I haven't read much of Baldacci or Clancy but if I come across any of their books, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Hi! If it's your first time reading a Baldacci book, try reading Memory Man. I became a fan of him after reading it. :)
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

CRIME AND THRILLER RECOMMENDATIONS?

I recommend David Baldacci's work! I first read his novel entitled Memory Man and since then, I started collecting his books. A page turner and will keep you from sleeping. I wish I can erase my memory and be able to read his works again to be thrilled and feel the same way I did when I first read his books (of course J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter is one of my favorites, too.

Another crime and thriller author that I loved is Robert Galbraith. If you don't know him (ehem, her) yet, try googling the name. I love his Cormoran Strike series, now a television series. Galbraith and Baldacci are the same in the sense of keeping you from sleep and page turner but their writing and storyline is different.

When it comes to female thriller and crime author, I read Lisa Gardner's work. My personal favorite is Find Her. I gave her books 4 out 5 since it has no erotic scenes and very minimal profanity but I know she can still do more when it comes to thrilling the viewers (or maybe I was just used to Baldacci and Galbraith works).

I will try Tom Clancy's work since I read his name in most of the replies and will share what I thought of his works, too. Any personal recommendations on which book should I start? :)
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides
This is surely one of the best books I have ever read. I have read a lot of thrillers and mysteries that I can guess the ending almost all the time. But this book, I could not until the very end. The ending was unbelievably amazing! I have only read one book like this before and that was by Agatha Christie. I recommend everyone to give this book a try cause it's worth it!.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I just read No Bad Deed by Heather Chavez. I couldn’t put this book down, it was a sit on the edge of your seat kind of read. It was 52 chapters with so many twists and turns. I finished it in 3 days. If anyone ends up reading this, let me know what you think....

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”