Review of The Date Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Review of The Date Farm

Post by Clare Jose »

Based on the review, it would be fair to say that Jack Winnick is an author has succeeded in writing books that are guaranteed to keep a reader engaged throughout the story. The 'Date Farm' would be an absolute delight for the right sort of readers. I have not read the other books in the series and would prefer to read this after reading the others.
Congratulations on BOTD!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Ari Martinez
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I have heard great things about this author's writing style. I have no doubt this story is full of suspense and great characters; however, I have never really enjoyed books about terrorism due to the political statements some authors try to make. I have also not read the other books in the series, so I'm not sure I'll be checking this one out. Thanks for the review.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

I really appreciate this book especially in light of everything going on in the Middle East now. I have read most of the books in this series and Winnick delivers every time. Great review!
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your great review. I have read one of the books and I also enjoy his style of writing and how he keeps the suspense up throughout the book. Uri and Lara are my favorite parts and he does a great job in character development of everyone, but especially those two. Even the bad guys are very smart and clever, thus making it harder for us to figure out who does what, how they are going to get caught, and what comes next.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

A thrilling story about two special agents unraveling a terror plot. Congratulations BOTD!
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

This book gives an insight into the dangers faced by soldiers who fight terrorists. It is the fourth book in the Lara and Uri action-adventure series. Lara and Uri were on vacation before they were called back to service after an attack in New York.
RomanceBound T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romancebound-t.html
Latest Review: Holy Terror by John R. Dougherty

Post by RomanceBound T »

This sounds like such an interesting read. Thankyou for such a detailed review.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

One would wonder what the real aim of the terrorists is. This book is a representative of our society. I am looking forward to reading this book to find out what happened. Congratulations to the author on winning book of the day.
Mandrita Jantwal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mandrita Jantwal »

Good read which keeps you engaged to know how it is going to end. The action starts from the first page of the book which captures attention. Book is on terrorism and how FBI works to counter it, starts in USA and moves to Iran. If terrorism is your thing, a must book with some details which may not be pleasant to all. Nevertheless, action packed book.
Markus Tsammani
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markus-tsammani.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Post by Markus Tsammani »

I understand how ignorant we are as citizens about what is happening in the world and about the people who are putting their lives in danger to stop such acts. Upon reflection, that is somewhat startling.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

"The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick, sounds like a thrilling rollercoaster of a read! The plot is filled with suspense and danger, making me incredibly curious to know how Lara and Uri navigate their mission to recover the stolen rhenium and eliminate the terrorists. Thanks for sharing this engaging review!
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

When terrorists arrack a Beverly Hills mall, hundreds are killed and injured. Shortly after, another attack happens, this time in New York City banks. Lara Edmond and Uri Levin are tasked to find and return a priceless item that he terrorist stole, and stop them before the next attack.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick has Lara and Uri as the protagonists once again! This team of highly trained operatives, the FBI and Mossad respectively, lead the anti-terrorist team! The players are all set into motion as terrorists attack a Beverly Hills Mall putting hundreds of civilians in danger. The author knows how to develop a good plot and has great character development with Lara and Uri as well as minor players and the terrorists too! The suspense builds as the events unfold and we find out how Lara and Uri will meet the challenges at: The Date Farm.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

Great review, very detailed and well-written.
This book intrigues me greatly, and I know I must begin reading this series as soon as possible.
The book is quite affecting, especially in these trying times, because it shows readers the consequences that many individuals face as a result of a few terrorist attacks.
Congratulations on the BOTD!!!
Brent Yaciw
Currently Reading: A New Dark World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Brent Yaciw »

When I first read this sample, I was thinking, "Have I read this before?" No, I hadn't, but I'd read the sample from at least one other book in the series, and there was a pattern developing: Splashy terrorist activity, the two main agents flirting with each other in romance-novel repartee, an abundance of technological detail...the difficulty with writing a series is making use of the same characters and often settings while keeping every novel's quality of "newness" high so the reader doesn't feel like he's already read it.

In fairness, all I've read are the free samples, and they're the beginning chapters, and - they're too much the same. Perhaps they vary more in later chapters, but I think that variety needs to be reflected sooner. I'd read one book in the series, but - based on samples alone - I don't think I'd invest in more.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”