Review of The Date Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Review of The Date Farm

Post by John Owen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Iranian terrorists, led by Sheikh Zainal Abidin, launch an attack on a Beverly Hills shopping mall, killing and injuring hundreds. A short while after, another attack is launched at the two bank buildings in New York City, and the terrorists steal very rare and precious rhenium metals held by the US. FBI's Lara Edmond and her partner, Mossad's Uri Levin, are called back to service after the attack in New York City while they are on vacation. Lara and Uri are required to assist in returning the priceless rhenium that Iranian terrorists took from the United States and eliminate the masterminds. They disguise themselves as Middle Eastern immigrants looking for work to enter a date farm outside Kazerun, where the rhenium is kept secretly and also where a top-secret complex IT center that was used to intercept and disrupt American communications is operated. Will they pull off the mission, considering the risks and dangers involved? Read The Date Farm by Jack Winnick.

The Date Farm is the fourth book in Jack Winnick’s Lara and Uri series, and I've been fortunate enough to have read all the remaining four. This is actually a reread because I had read it some time last year, and it is finally nice to give a review of the book. I think Winnick is a very skilled author as evidenced by the high-quality stories he has penned in all his books, including this one. All of his works show the extremes heroes like Lara and Uri put themselves in, even in the face of death, to keep the world safe. Just to think of it, I have been able to see from these stories just how many terror attacks the innocent civilians have narrowly escaped, thanks to the "Uris and Laras" who put their lives on the line to prevent such disasters. I must say the book has illustrated this relieving yet grim fact quite well.

Winnick has shown just how complex some of these terrorist attacks are, which is, to me, the best highlight of this book. In the book, terrorists and their sympathizers are planted in almost all the strategic positions—government, banks, security, and the military, name them—and that makes the fight against terrorists even harder. While this is a highlight as I already said, I think the book makes the terrorists too clever and advanced than they should be, to the extent the Americans seemed fully compromised and helpless. While the explanation of how it got to that point has been given, it seems odd to me. I am not used to antagonists being this clever. There are other important highlights I should mention, like the perfect character development, the perfect world-building, and how intense and suspenseful the book is. I award the book 5 out of 5 stars because of its overall quality and how enjoyable it is. If you like international counterterrorism thrillers, this is the best pick.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

Jack Winnick's "The Date Farm" plunges readers into a heart-pounding narrative of counterterrorism, where the stakes couldn't be higher. The author's skill in crafting high-quality, tension-filled stories is evident, and this installment in the Lara and Uri series is no exception. Winnick masterfully portrays the unwavering dedication of heroes like Lara and Uri, who risk their lives to safeguard the world from the threats of terrorism. The book shines a spotlight on the brave souls who stand on the front lines to prevent catastrophic disasters, and it's a stark reminder of the sacrifices made to protect innocent lives. With a gripping plot and well-drawn characters, "The Date Farm" is a testament to the unyielding determination of those who defend against terror. A thrilling read that resonates with the realities of our world.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

John Owen wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 02:27 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]

Winnick has shown just how complex some of these terrorist attacks are, which is, to me, the best highlight of this book. In the book, terrorists and their sympathizers are planted in almost all the strategic positions—government, banks, security, and the military, name them—and that makes the fight against terrorists even harder. While this is a highlight as I already said, I think the book makes the terrorists too clever and advanced than they should be, to the extent the Americans seemed fully compromised and helpless. While the explanation of how it got to that point has been given, it seems odd to me. I am not used to antagonists being this clever. There are other important highlights I should mention, like the perfect character development, the perfect world-building, and how intense and suspenseful the book is. I award the book 5 out of 5 stars because of its overall quality and how enjoyable it is. If you like international counterterrorism thrillers, this is the best pick.
John, another great review! When I read this one, I remember thinking it was refreshing not to have complete idiots as the adversary! I think I had read a few too many books where the plotting was just so bad, that I really got into this one! I feel like Uri and Lara needed a "challenge" and this plot line delivered. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one loving Jack Winnick. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this one!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

John Owen wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 02:27 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]

I have been able to see from these stories just how many terror attacks the innocent civilians have narrowly escaped, thanks to the "Uris and Laras" who put their lives on the line to prevent such disasters. I must say the book has illustrated this relieving yet grim fact quite well.
Great review. I know what you mean about how much we as civilians don't know what is going on in the world and the people that are risking their lives to prevent such actions. It is shocking when we think about it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read the first two Lara and Uri novels and appreciated Jack Winnick's fantasy in developing stories that are well rooted in the current situation in the Middle East and the terrorist threats to the USA and Israel. I keep on reading praises of the other sequels, so I plan to read them all. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is a captivating and mind-hacking read with a compelling review and I long to read this book and see what you've read.
I like your review. Good job.
Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-ogechukwu-bianca.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca »

I Only read the first book in this series and it was quite intriguing. Will definitely check out the rest. Congrats on a great review
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

His exceptional storytelling and the courageous efforts of heroes like Lara and Uri who risk their lives to protect innocent civilians from terror attacks, makes this book a compelling and realistic portrayal of their dedication.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Winnick masterfully weaves a tale of counterterrorism, showcasing the sacrifices made by unsung heroes to protect us. The complexity of the plot & the intense suspense will keep anyone on the edge of their seats! Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like the reference to the really clever terrorists. It is a nice change from the good guys always being smarter than the bad guys. Unfortunately in life, it often is this way that terrorists have their grip on a lot of organisations, on a lot of levels. Curious to find out how Lara and Uri will manage to deal with the attack, the theft and everything going on.
Cecilia John
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cecilia John »

I have actually read the book is quite interesting imagine Lara and Uri risked their life just to protect innocents human beings but terrorist are something else. It shows how unity is everything.
Merlin Mathews

Post by Merlin Mathews »

Great review maahn…. It gives me the energy to go back and read again this book after reading your review. You have portrayed the summary in a simple language. That makes me to understand the uncleared portions of the book. Lara and Uri have given a clear picture of the story through their story telling way. Really liked your review too… Keep it up..
Ayomide Ogundimu
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayomide Ogundimu »

This is a very detailed review. The book is a very suspenseful one and a good read. You made a very good summary of the book and the counterterrorism strategy in the book. It was also not the cliche plot where the good guys are smarter than the bad guys.
Kudos to you for this great review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 815
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The Date Farm by Jack Winnick is a thrilling international counterterrorism novel that follows agents Lara and Uri, as they go undercover to retrieve a precious stolen metal from Iran. The book is filled with suspense, intense action, and well-developed characters.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It was nice enough that in this book the civilians were able to escape with the help of Lara and Uri, two heroic characters. The plot is better than what is happening in reality now about terrorist attacks. However, I'm not into stories involving terrorism; hence, I'll skip them. Nonetheless, congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”