Review of Waterworks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: Hi, I'm Andy. Ask me anything by Alan Perrins

Review of Waterworks

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The agents have been married for less than two years in this fifth book in the Lara and Uri series. Lara is not yet pregnant, but the couple is eager to start a family. The doctor recommended they take a break from their demanding schedules and stressful jobs. While the couple was on vacation, the FBI summoned them. A suspected terrorist group allegedly poisoned the Los Angeles water system. The task for the couple is to find those responsible. However, the agents must work independently this time. Because of their rising popularity from past deployments, they, too, had to disguise their identities. They soon learned of another attack on a water facility. However, terrorists and freedom fighters both circulated information in an attempt to mislead one another. Both parties are in a race against misdirection and time.

Waterworks by Jack Winnick takes terrorism stories to a whole new level of horror. Firearms and missiles are not the only weapons that can terrorize a city. Water supply poisoning is a severe threat. This attack is highly possible because science and technology exist in the real world. The straightforward descriptions of scientific and technological topics are simple to understand. Likewise, the references to real-world occurrences offer sufficient background that makes the plot seem more plausible.

The story additionally includes a history of the settings. The background story of the notable buildings and other structures is intriguing and rekindles historic interest.

The fast pace was my favorite part. The striking passage of minutes, hours, and days all add to the sense of urgency of the complex situation. The intensified feeling that time is of the essence and the misdirection sustain the interest of the captivated audience and make the book a page-turner.

The plot delves into the personal lives of spies as well. It investigates the considerable difficulties of working undercover. Starting a family, exposure to illicit affairs, and worrying about their partner are all concerns for married spies. This personal side balances the action and political aspects.

The casual tone and crisp editing all add to a smooth reading experience. I only spotted a few minor editing issues that are nearly unnoticeable. Some foreign languages and phrases have no translations. I gently suggest providing the English versions for those unfamiliar with them. It will also provide a broader context and a good start for learning a new language. Apart from that observation, I have no complaints about this work. There are some swear words and mild sexual references. Sensitive readers should proceed with caution because there are some violent action scenes. The content will not offend any religious group. It is suitable for audiences over the age of sixteen. Exploring an unconventional approach to terrorist actions adds a refreshing perspective to the genre and will appeal to fans of action-packed, fast-paced international espionage. Those interested in the political relations between Iran, Israel, and the US should explore this. Although part of a series, the novel may stand alone, so readers who prefer a standalone can consider it. There are enough backgrounds from previous missions to provide context for the audience. These brief snippets entice readers to check out the other books in the series.

The book is notable for its masterful use of real-world examples to speculate on the likelihood of various scenarios. The harmonious blend of imaginative fiction and factual reality makes it an engaging read that deserves a rating of five out of five.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

Waterworks by Jack Winnick takes terrorism stories to a whole new level of horror. Firearms and missiles are not the only weapons that can terrorize a city. Water supply poisoning is a severe threat. This attack is highly possible because science and technology exist in the real world. The straightforward descriptions of scientific and technological topics are simple to understand. Likewise, the references to real-world occurrences offer sufficient background that makes the plot seem more plausible.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

SweetSourSalty AndSpicy wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 03:40 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]

Great review. I agree, I hadn't even considered what could be weaponised and dangerous outside of the weapons themselves. My parents had just returned from visiting the US and commented how there was a constant police presence at a water purification centre near their hotel, which immediately made me think of this book.
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is a captivating and mind-hacking review and I long to read this book and see what you've received too. I like your review. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read the first two Lara and Uri thrillers and I liked Jack Winnick skills in creating believable plots based on the real terrorits threats against the USA and Israel. I see the the other books of the series are great as well, so I plan to read them all. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

The personal lives of spies, including family and relationship struggles, add depth and balance to the narrative. With a casual tone, smooth editing, and only minor issues, this work offers a refreshing perspective on international espionage and is recommended for readers over the age of sixteen.
RomanceBound T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romancebound-t.html
Latest Review: Holy Terror by John R. Dougherty

Post by RomanceBound T »

This such an interesting book. I'm eager to find out what could possibly be more dangerous than weapons and how are they gonna find those who polluted the water. You have written such an exceptional review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

There's a thrilling mix of personal struggles and a race against time in "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick. The unique twist of spies dealing with family matters adds depth. The urgency and misdirection make it a must-read for fans of fast-paced espionage.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
valentiareshoketswe
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by valentiareshoketswe »

It is great to meet Uri and Lara again on another spies mission adventure. It would be great to read about water supply poisoning for a change as it is something that we are exposed to.
Everett Magombo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Everett Magombo »

Working independently is something else...as a threat of independence on the couple working as agents is huge :roll:
Tsitsi Seleke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tsitsi Seleke »

It a fascinating book to read about. I would like to understand more how water poisoning is considered to be a threat to terrorism apart from firearms and missiles, when we live in advance world of technology and where biochemical hazard are identified at a blink of an eye.
Aang Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ni-ketut-anggraeni.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Aang Krishna »

Respectful for very detail and informative review. The storyline of waterworks is getting scare me with any part tells about some violet action. Regardless of The story, I really appreciate for the book author and the review. Thank you.
:techie-studying gray: keep reading book and always happy
Brittany Arendse
Currently Reading: Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-arendse.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Brittany Arendse »

It seems like a loooong 5 books for Lara and Uri. This books sounds fast paced and actions packed. Poisoning of a water source is a unique, out of the box angle; it would be relatively simple to do immense damage. Well done on crafting another great product!
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Lara and Uri, the undercover spies, decide to take a break and start a family. But, terrorism doesn’t let them enjoy their break. Water poisoning of the water system at Los Angeles requires both the agents to work separately to bring terrorists to justice. The fast-pace of this novel definitely keeps the readers hooked.
Runan
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like the perspective of the different reviewers, I have read several already on this book. The political background setting is a difficult one I find given the current situation. However, the novel is fiction, and I appreciate personal relationship part as well about two people fighting for a higher cause and still having emotions and feelings and dreams about starting a family.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”