Review of Devil Among Us

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Wambui Ndungu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-wambui-ndungu.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Re: Review of Devil Among Us

Post by Mercy Wambui Ndungu »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review of "Devil Among Us" by Jack Winnick. Your detailed analysis provides a captivating glimpse into the intricacies of the Lara and Uri series, making it evident that the novel extends beyond the typical spy thriller genre.

It's fascinating to hear that the sequel surpasses expectations and delves into various genres, keeping the reader engaged with unexpected plot developments. Jack Winnick's portrayal of the complexities within Arab countries showcases his expertise as a Middle East scholar. The inclusion of various organizations and their differing stances adds a layer of authenticity to the narrative without compromising the pace of the story.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
DL Gardene
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by DL Gardene »

Devil Among Us

Action packed series with Uri and Lara. Join them as they take on the world and go up against terrorism. The two of them can take on the buggest events/situations whether it’s together or separately.
sasad4733
Currently Reading: Many Rides, Many Stories
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by sasad4733 »

I am giving review that I read, mentioning that Lara's role has changed from computer intelligence to field agent. Given the recent situation, I will find it more difficult to read this book mentioning a threat against Israel - it suddenly becomes very real while it is a novel and while certain aspects may be based on reality, it remains a work of fiction.
Glory Ottah
Currently Reading: Looking Inwards
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Glory Ottah »

Thanks for the review, this book seems quite interesting for an action minded person, the storyline of the book is interesting and intriguing because of the action it portrays. Lara and Uri reunite for the second installment of this action-packed thriller. Can't wait to read the full book.
AmmaratC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammaratc.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by AmmaratC »

Spy thrillers, such as, Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick, will definitely be added to my collections. The social and political situations in the Arab countries and how the European Union and the U.S. become involved intrigue me. It would be more enjoyable to learn about these problems in the novel form than from newspapers.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3052
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The threat of religious extremism and other forms of its manifestations is existential, and it is good to see Uri Levin and Lara Edmond racing against time to stop any further harm from occurring. Devil Among Us is already on my shelf. Many thanks for this amazing review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Such intense and fast paced spy thriller book. Glad to know this can be read as stand alone because I don't think I can commit to reading series book. Congratulations on being the #botd.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

I wonder how hurtless the terrorists are to the point of booming people in the synagogue.
Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-ogechukwu-bianca.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca »

An action packed and suspenseful thriller novel, the second book in the Lara and Uri series, like it's predecessor, it delivers on action, suspense and plot twists. Great read. Congrats on #BOTD
Sham Gwalani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sham-gwalani.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Sham Gwalani »

This review gave a well-balanced account of the book without giving away the spoilers. A spy thriller with International agencies working together for the benefit of everyone seems like a good plot. Will definitely want to read such a story.
Sameena Ansari
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading: Losing Hope
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Sameena Ansari »

Devil Among Us boasts of a high-octane plot, filled with espionage, action, and intricate international relations. The evolving dynamics between Lara and Uri, set against the backdrop of a terrorist threat, make this book a compelling read.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I also read "East Wind" and enjoyed Lara and Uri's collaboration. I'm curious to read about Lara's new experience in technology and can't wait to begin reviewing this book.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Danny Anderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danny-anderson.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Danny Anderson »

The seamless blend of personal relationships and intense investigations earns this novel a well-deserved 5-star rating. Thanks for the review.
BakerPie
Currently Reading: Water for Elephants
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bakerpie.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Post by BakerPie »

I read the first 4 chapters of this book, which did a great job introducing the characters and topics of the novel. The reviewer was correct in saying that it can indeed be read as a stand-alone. I don't think that this being the second book in the series hinders the reader from understanding the plot, but I agree that reading them in order would be best. I was excited to learn that this sequel touches on romance, as that genre is my preference.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Abiodunakinola »

"Devil Among Us" by Jack Winnick, the second installment in the Lara and Uri series, intricately weaves together elements of espionage, terrorism, and political complexities. The novel's action-packed narrative, filled with twists and revelations, showcases the evolving roles of FBI Special Agent Lara Edmond and Mossad agent Uri Levin as they face a complex terrorist plot threatening the USA and Israel. The author's expertise as a Middle East scholar shines through in the nuanced portrayal of different perspectives within Arab countries. Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”