Review of Heroes in Their Own Right

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chad Anthony
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Review of Heroes in Their Own Right

Post by Chad Anthony »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heroes in Their Own Right" by Kevin Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Amidst the ongoing conflict between the left and right-wing factions, so much unrest engulfed the country, prompting the Resistance to defensively confront the GEU and its novel economic agenda. Amit's decision to defy the General's directives, rescuing Bryson from captivity during a critical mission, has her grappling with the fear that her insubordination might not only jeopardize her career but could also lead to charges of treason and imprisonment. The burning question remains: Will General Rubin spare her life and career, considering the justifiability of her actions following a successful rescue operation?

Away from the military drama, the relentless onslaught on civilians commenced in Phoenix, Arizona, before spreading to other parts of the country at the hands of the identified assailants, the Kakos. From the safety of a secure room, Gov. Quincy, accompanied by her two sons, watched anxiously as the Kakos mob closed in on her home. The realization struck her that she was their next target, especially after reports detailed the invasion of Arizona Senate members' homes, resulting in one fatality. Desperate, she reached out to the Colonel at NoVit, praying for their timely intervention as the Kakos relentlessly pursued her, forcing her into hiding. For a gripping account of Gov. Quincy's survival and the Resistance's resilience against GEU attacks, delve into Kevin Glenn's "Heroes in Their Own Right: The War for Freedom Rages Globally."

As for the book itself, there isn't a single aspect I found displeasing. The narrative unfolds with a meticulously crafted plot, maintaining an optimal level of suspense throughout. Kevin Glenn injects humor into this action-packed thriller, with Kaylee's moments particularly standing out for their comedic value. Kaylee, with her fearless and outgoing demeanor, emerged as my favorite character. Despite lacking formal training, her valor not only saved Amit's life but also played a pivotal role in thwarting the EMP threat. Her unyielding spirit led her to acquire invaluable skills, not only benefiting those around her but also fostering her own confidence. A close second in my affections was Alice, Bryson's ex-wife, whom I lauded for her adept handling of situations involving her former spouse.

Even without having read the first book, I appreciated how the characters were introduced seamlessly, allowing this installment to be enjoyed as a standalone work. Each character assumed a distinctive and meaningful role, contributing to the clarity of the plot and enhancing my overall reading experience. The narrative successfully elicited a spectrum of emotions, ranging from terror during perilous situations to shared moments of joy and pain with the characters.

We all have this thought that the third world war is going to involve a lot of physical violence, but Amit's advice to Kaylee while on the plane struck me as true. And I realize that, according to Amit, "war is so different that we don't even know that we've been in a third-world war for some time now".

While reading, I did notice a few errors, prompting me to recommend another round of editing. Nevertheless, these errors do not detract significantly from the book's overall quality, prompting me to award it four out of five stars. Apart from this, there is nothing to dislike about the book. In essence, this book is deserving of a perfect five-star rating, especially for enthusiasts of crime thrillers and action-packed narratives with a dash of romance and a gratifying dose of suspense.

Heroes in Their Own Right
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Legacy: Wisdom of African Traditions and the Bible by Chris Morehouse

Post by Marina Flisvou »

It's evident that you thoroughly enjoyed the book and found its various elements engaging. Thank you for providing such a detailed and insightful review.
Marina
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

Since I'm all about crime mysteries with some suspense with humor as a bonus, your review makes me want to read this book. Your enthusiastic review with just enough detail from the book to engage me is a thing of beauty. Your well written review and you clearly enjoying the book is another tic mark on the list to read it. Thank you for your excellent review! Well done!!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel full of action and thrill though I'm concerned that my understanding of US politics might not be good enough to appreciate what's behind the conflict and its ramifications. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
santoshbhatt70
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by santoshbhatt70 »

:) Thank you for providing such a detailed and insightful review. It's evident that you thoroughly enjoyed the book and found its various elements engaging.
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

"Heroes in Their Own Right: The War for Freedom Rages Globally" sounds like an intense and captivating read! I'm intrigued by the blend of suspense, action, and humor you've described. Kaylee sounds like a truly inspiring character. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

It's always fascinating to hear about specific characters that stood out and resonated with readers. Your commentary on the characters, such as Kaylee's humor and Alice's adept handling of situations, interests me. Thank you for the review.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”