Review of Misery Loves Company

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emma Ussel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Review of Misery Loves Company

Post by Emma Ussel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Misery Loves Company" by Paul Marino.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Misery Loves Company" takes an entertaining dive into the idiosyncrasies, missteps, and the unpredictable universe of duck hunters. From the moment the alarm blares at an unfathomable 3:00 a.m. until the hunter stumbles into icy marsh waters two hours later, soaking their waders but not their fervor for the sport. The central question persists: why do duck hunters willingly subject themselves to hours of torrential rain, patiently awaiting ducks that might never grace their decoy spread? Why endure the bone-chilling cold in the most remote and harsh environments? This book asks the difficult questions and answers it with very few words, a ton of telling pictures, and a strong sense of "that's exactly it!" feelings.

The author masterfully explores these perplexing moments with humor and enthusiasm, but it's his remarkable color photographs that steal the spotlight. These vivid snapshots capture the essence of waterfowling with an unmatched precision. Whether it's the exasperated hunter who can only watch as his partner's Suburban crushes his beloved shotgun case in the driveway - a defining click! Or the loyal retriever that nonchalantly douses the hunter's blind bag with a casual lift of its leg - another click! And let's not forget the anguished expressions of duck hunters caught in the act of "enjoying" their favorite pastime - one more click.

For waterfowlers who occasionally question their own sanity, the author offers solace with soft words of reassurance.

This book resonates with avid duck hunters. The chaos and comical shenanigans they tend to encounter are fully represented in this book that feels both personal and genuine. Reading it is akin to revisiting familiar, albeit slightly absurd, scenarios and finding the humor in them. The imagery eloquently narrates the tales; words become almost superfluous in the face of these evocative pictures. Despite not being a duck hunter myself I can see why people would relate and appreciate this niche book.

Yet, it's important to note that this book isn't a traditional book in terms of in depth and meaty text. For those anticipating in-depth narratives, it may seem somewhat lacking, consisting mostly of succinct anecdotes paired with visuals. It's an incredible short read. The brevity of the anecdotes is such that the whole book can be devoured in less than half an hour, and that includes appreciating each picture individually. While the images beautifully convey the essence of duck hunting, those seeking substantial written content may be left wanting more. What little text there is has no typos and no profanity, no errors, and the layout truly enhances the visual experience. The only thing I disliked about it is how short it was. It left me wanting more, so while I did not want the book itself to be longer, I would have loved to get second volume or a sequel.

In essence, "Misery Loves Company" offers a lighthearted and visually captivating exploration of the peculiarities of duck hunting. It provides an opportunity to share in the collective eccentricities of their chosen passion all while not taking itself too seriously. While it may not satisfy those craving extensive prose, the book shines through its rich visual storytelling and is a delightful addition to any duck hunter's library. I will personally keep this book on my bookshelves as a "here's a quick fun read" recommendation, a little gem of extremely niche but accessible anecdotes.
I will gladly give it my 5 out of 5 rating because of the conversation starter potential.

Misery Loves Company
View: on Bookshelves
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

I was surprised from the title to see that the book is actually about duck hunting. I have to say that I agree misery does love company!
Emma Ussel
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Emma Ussel »

Catherine Radford wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 08:29 I was surprised from the title to see that the book is actually about duck hunting. I have to say that I agree misery does love company!

Me too actually! The problem is that the purchase link took me to "this" "Misery Loves Company: Waterfowling and the Relentless Pursuit of Self-Abuse", and it seems it's not the same book by this author?!
I'm actually confused by the ordeal.

So the one I read and reviewed is one about duck hunting (which is hilarious) but the publisher did say "I didn't read the book since my book has sexual content"...
Utter confusion.

(image: exactly what the "purchase link" took me to)
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Emma Ussel wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 08:34 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Misery Loves Company" by Paul Marino.]

"Misery Loves Company" takes an entertaining dive into the idiosyncrasies, missteps, and the unpredictable universe of duck hunters. From the moment the alarm blares at an unfathomable 3:00 a.m. until the hunter stumbles into icy marsh waters two hours later, soaking their waders but not their fervor for the sport. The central question persists: why do duck hunters willingly subject themselves to hours of torrential rain, patiently awaiting ducks that might never grace their decoy spread? Why endure the bone-chilling cold in the most remote and harsh environments? This book asks the difficult questions and answers it with very few words, a ton of telling pictures, and a strong sense of "that's exactly it!" feelings.

The author masterfully explores these perplexing moments with humor and enthusiasm, but it's his remarkable color photographs that steal the spotlight. These vivid snapshots capture the essence of waterfowling with an unmatched precision. Whether it's the exasperated hunter who can only watch as his partner's Suburban crushes his beloved shotgun case in the driveway - a defining click! Or the loyal retriever that nonchalantly douses the hunter's blind bag with a casual lift of its leg - another click! And let's not forget the anguished expressions of duck hunters caught in the act of "enjoying" their favorite pastime - one more click.
Okay, so I'm totally not an avid duck hunter, much less an apathetic one, but I am an avid fan of your review! To make duck hunting sound so interesting and funny even...you've done a service for this author! I definitely fall into the category of wanting meaty prose, but this sounds like a fun read. I enjoyed reading this review, thanks so much for sharing it, and I'm looking forward to seeing your next review! Until then...
:tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”