Review of The Haunting of Towne Point Mall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of The Haunting of Towne Point Mall

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Haunting of Towne Point Mall" by Jason Fischer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jason Fischer's The Haunting of Towne Point Mall is a fictional collection comprising ten interconnected horror short stories. The stories all hold some connection to the eerie titular mall itself.

The book features stories like "The Birth," which delves into the unsettling relationship between Nancy and her child as she grapples with his terrifying skin condition. Their journey takes a dark turn during a fateful trip to the mall. Another tale, "Fashionation," unfolds as a man and his family open a clothing store within the mall, only to encounter unexpected gifts and deadly consequences. Meanwhile, "Fan's Fiction" explores the life of a successful author who receives a peculiar book from a fan, revealing events from the immediate future. As readers immerse themselves in this gripping anthology, they'll uncover chilling and gripping tales.

There is a lot to like about this book. Each story was told intriguingly. The author did well in using creative plot points like Chad's skin condition and the digital possession by Barbara's spirit in "The Game of Love." I also liked the way the author weaved the Mall into the stories and left clever references to the other stories, like Easter eggs. The pacing and length of each story were good, as they never dragged at all. The author captured my interest in each character, even within the frame of a short story. This is particularly visible in "The Film," as I was very captivated by Cromwell's background. The language used was simple and easy to follow. My favorite story was "Fan's Fiction." The concept behind it was very unique, and I did not expect Steven to make the decision he did at the end.

Personally, my least favorite part was the story "Tangled Web." Its plot seemed a bit weak compared to the other stories. I think it should have had a shorter length. However, it never really took away from the overall quality of the book.

I found only a couple of errors in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The book was very intriguing and suspense-filled. I recommend this book to lovers of psychological horror books.

The Haunting of Towne Point Mall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A new me
Currently Reading: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-new-me.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by A new me »

I'm a fan of horror novels so I'll be reading this book. I enjoyed reading this amazing review, thank you.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Who doesn’t love a book with different stories? Thank you for the review, I will definitely consider reading this book.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I will add this book to my reading list. I like ghost stories!
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

This sounds very interesting. I love watching thrillers but horror movies can get really weird quick. The reviews of this book makes me very curious to read it. But, I will make sure the lights are left on while reading this.
Daniel Muniu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Daniel Muniu »

I adore watching horror movies never mind reading one.
Based on the detailed description on the book I choose to read it.
Dan Polumbric
Currently Reading: The Return of the Knights
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-polumbric.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Dan Polumbric »

Horror novels that focus on a specific location are often more enthralling and creepy compared to monster-focussed stories. Thanks for highlighting the pace and the style of this series.
Melissa Bee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melissa Bee »

This is helpful to see as a beginner review team member. I don’t often pick a horror story as I rather not have the gruesome details, but I must admit your review has peeked my interest to check out this compilation of short stories. Thank you.
Keitumetse M 20

Post by Keitumetse M 20 »

This review makes me curious to see how the book ends because the best part about horror novels and movies are always the endings so I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Ashley D 1

Post by Ashley D 1 »

I enjoy ghost stories and I love reading about people’s experiences with them. I would enjoy readying this
Rukayya Yusuf Hameed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukayya-yusuf-hameed.html
Latest Review: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel by Evy Journey

Post by Rukayya Yusuf Hameed »

I love horror stories. So I will be reading it. Thank you for the honest review.
bemy2022a2
Currently Reading:

Post by bemy2022a2 »

Horror stories always have a strange appeal. I really like reading horror stories. And I also like the way you described it in the review. I will be reading it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a collection of well-constructed psychological horror stories that offer a lot of suspense for a terrific reading experience. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

While I love thrillers, I am not a fan of horror. However, the book appears to have a very nice collection of stories, which I look forward to reading.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”