Review of What Happens in Montana

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of What Happens in Montana

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Happens in Montana" by Kim McCollum.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After Brooke's romantic wedding gets pushed back by a year, she is in low spirits. She comes up with the perfect idea: a girl's trip! She sends quick texts to the members of her "Mommy and Me" group and convinces them to go. When she mentions an isolated retreat in Montana with no alcohol and rumors of a ghost, the others are initially skeptical. However, her enthusiasm is contagious, and they find themselves landing at the last place any of them will expect to have fun. None of them know how much their lives can change in a few days. Murder, secrets, drastic decisions, illicit affairs, and strange but lovable retreat employees combine to produce an exciting story. Can what happens in Montana stay in Montana?

What Happens in Montana by Kim McCollum combines heightened emotions and deep grudges to produce an explosive thriller. Just how far can hate go?

I loved every aspect of this book. I was sucked in from the first page, and it was made a lot better that the story was being introduced to us from Maude's perspective. Ironically, her ability to not be shocked by anything made each scene more shocking to the reader. Who would discover a dead body in their garden and not panic? She was the same person who talked to ghosts. Each character in this book was so lively and distinct that they gave life to the book. The four friends, Brooke, Krista, Quinn, and Tracy, meshed so well in their differences and were so exciting together that I would love to read more books dedicated entirely to them, their friendship, and the adventures they embarked on together. The characters were the best part of this book.

The book is narrated from several characters' perspectives, including Maude, the cook, and Simone, the ghost. Simone's story, told from her perspective, is very heartbreaking, and one will be hard-pressed to fault the ghost for any of the other things that happen subsequently in the book.

The suspense level of this book is very high. The book starts with the discovery of a dead body. Subsequently, a countdown to the day of the discovery begins. Each day pushes the reader closer to the secret behind the death. The closer it gets, the more the tension racks up because each revelation makes it more challenging to come to a solid conclusion about the person behind or circumstances surrounding the death.

Some elements of this book can be triggering to certain people. Same-sex relationships, rape, assault, murder, etc may not sit well with some readers; such people might read this book with caution.

I found nothing to dislike about the book, which was professionally edited. Therefore, I'd rate it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to people who enjoy thriller novels.

What Happens in Montana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging thriller full of tension due to all the events, sometimes violent, that fill it up. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Yes, the review is helpful as it provides a detailed summary of the book and shares the reviewer's opinion on various aspects. It is sufficient in providing enough information for potential readers to make a decision. The review appears to be positive and enthusiastic, which could motivate some readers to buy the book. From the reviewer's perspective, the book seems to be a good addition to anyone's library, especially for those who enjoy thriller novels.
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Aleena Augustine »

This thriller sounds like a rollercoaster of emotions and suspense! I love how the characters bring the story to life, and the multiple perspectives add an intriguing layer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review of "What Happens in Montana" by Kim McCollum indicates that the book is an exciting and explosive thriller with heightened emotions and deep grudges. The characters are lively and distinct, particularly the four friends who embark on an adventure together. The story is narrated from multiple perspectives, including a ghost, adding to the suspense and tension. However, it is worth noting that the book contains triggering elements such as same-sex relationships, rape, assault, and murder. Overall, the review rates the book 5 out of 5 stars and recommends it to those who enjoy thriller novels.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Hey there! This review really caught my attention. It seems like "What Happens in Montana" is a thrilling and captivating read. I love how the characters are described as lively and distinct, making the story come to life. The multiple perspectives and high suspense level also sound intriguing. However, I do appreciate the warning about potentially triggering content. Overall, this review has definitely piqued my interest in giving the book a try. Thanks for sharing! Exquisite prose, flowed effortlessly and elegantly.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Aye, based on this review, "What Happens in Montana" seems like a riveting thriller! The characters are lively, the suspense is high, and the multiple perspectives add depth to the story. Just be aware, it's got triggering elements. Overall, it's a solid 5-star read for thriller enthusiasts. Heartfelt moments, brought tears to my eyes.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”