Review of You Say Goodbye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Review of You Say Goodbye

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Say Goodbye" by Keith Steinbaum.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

You Say Goodbye, authored by Keith Steinbaum, unfolds its narrative over 40 chapters. Commencing with a succinct summary and two commendations, Steinbaum expresses gratitude to his parents and commemorates Alexandra Scott, a heroic girl whose battle with cancer profoundly inspired the book.

Merissa, tragically assaulted and murdered in her bedroom, falls prey to the Beatles song murderer. At the time of her demise, she shared a romantic relationship with Sean Hightower, a former country music sensation. Employed at Sean's father's car dealership, she hosted occasional poker nights at her house with friends and volunteered at the Mid-Valley Youth and Family Directional Center. Detective Maldonado, leading the case, sought Sean's collaboration, suspecting a close acquaintance as the murderer—someone Sean likely knew. The book entices readers to delve into this mysterious narrative.

In my perspective, You Say Goodbye promises a captivating cinematic experience, immersing the audience in suspense akin to a cinematic encounter. Character details unfold seamlessly through conversations, progressively enriching the reader's understanding. The adept portrayal of settings is a testament to the author's skill, creating a tangible presence for readers within the various scenes.

The narrative explores the struggles of those battling cancer, particularly children, evoking emotional resonance. The friendship between Sean and Kayleigh transcends age boundaries, underscoring how a simple connection between an adult and a sick child can profoundly impact the adult's appreciation for life. The book fosters a heightened understanding of the intricacies of investigations, acknowledging their arduous yet gratifying nature upon resolution.

I find no significant dislikes about this book. Despite occasional profanity, which does not significantly detract from the overall quality, the book stands out for its exceptional editing, error-free content, and masterful layering of suspense. Meticulously crafted characters and event sequences enhance its potential for a compelling movie adaptation. Considering these factors and my overall enjoyment, I unequivocally rate it five out of five stars.

I recommend You Say Goodbye to mature readers and enthusiasts of murder mysteries, crime thrillers, and suspense genres. Additionally, those familiar with or touched by the experiences of children facing cancer will find this book particularly poignant and relatable.

You Say Goodbye
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Jessica Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Jessica Azuka »

So is this book like a drama within a drama? Anyways, it is very intriguing and thought-provoking. It also has an interesting title and I'm looking forward to reading this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A well-constructed thriller that also addresses the theme of children suffering from cancer and the consequences on their families seems interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”