Review of A Father's Revenge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Review of A Father's Revenge

Post by Obc Contentor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Father's Revenge" by Robert Mixson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Joshua, a renowned investigative journalist, attempted suicide after losing his only daughter, Hannah, in the terrorist attack that happened at the 9/11 Twin Towers. The jihadists targeted America, referring to them as Western infidels in their mission to help Allah. Having previously lost his wife, Cassie, to cancer, Joshua, traumatized by his daughter's death and plagued by nightmares, resolved to avenge her. However, the method remained uncertain. One day, Budrow Pearson (Colonel), an uninvited visitor claiming to be a friend of Joshua’s friend, appeared. Though feeling uncomfortable around him, Joshua learned he was considered a Guardian angel and was unwittingly drawn into a political plot. Exploiting Joshua's vulnerability and promising him the opportunity to succeed in avenging his daughter's death, the Colonel suggested joining their team as an assassin to eliminate terrorists. Joshua's acceptance initiated a chain of pulse-pounding events, including perilous missions both inside and outside the group, bringing death threats to him.

A Father's Revenge by Robert Mixson is an action thriller that details the life of a courageous man marked by family deaths and his descent into a series of brutal events to avenge his daughter's death.

I appreciate the suspenseful element in the book, where events kept me guessing about Joshua's fate—from a traumatized man to a valiant assassin. While the author didn't overly rely on suspense, the careful unfolding of events captivated my interest. For instance, my initial belief in the Colonel's alliance with Joshua shifted as his conspiracy with the director came to light. Emotionally, I connected with Joshua's handling of loss, and his deliberate approach to the tasks given to him, rather than hastily executing the director's target, added depth to the narrative.

I found no grammar errors in the book. The book is impeccably edited except for the entire chapter two, which is repeated in chapter 3. Despite this flaw, I applaud the author's writing prowess. However, for the repetition of a page's content, the book won't earn a full-star rating. Hence, my rating is 4 out of 5 stars, and I recommend it to crime and murder scene enthusiasts.

A Father's Revenge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific thriller that shows how a normal person can go into some real dark path following a tragic loss. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
McDonald Lauren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonald-lauren.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by McDonald Lauren »

The story of Joshua's harrowing journey after the tragic loss of his daughter in the 9/11 terrorist attack is intense and deeply emotional. The exploration of his trauma and his subsequent path towards seeking vengeance is a compelling premise. The unexpected arrival of Colonel Budrow Pearson, offering a chance for retribution while unraveling a political plot, adds layers of suspense and intrigue. The way the narrative delves into Joshua's vulnerability and the moral complexities of joining a group as an assassin to fight terrorism creates a tension-filled and thought-provoking plot. It seems like a story that delves into the depths of grief, revenge, and the blurred lines of justice.
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Your review of "A Father's Revenge" is gripping! The suspense and Joshua's transformation into an avenging force are compelling. The emotional depth adds a poignant touch. Kudos on the detailed feedback.
Cara Wilding
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Obc Contentor wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 07:00 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Father's Revenge" by Robert Mixson.]

Joshua, a renowned investigative journalist, attempted suicide after losing his only daughter, Hannah, in the terrorist attack that happened at the 9/11 Twin Towers. The jihadists targeted America, referring to them as Western infidels in their mission to help Allah. Having previously lost his wife, Cassie, to cancer, Joshua, traumatized by his daughter's death and plagued by nightmares, resolved to avenge her. However, the method remained uncertain. One day, Budrow Pearson (Colonel), an uninvited visitor claiming to be a friend of Joshua’s friend, appeared. Though feeling uncomfortable around him, Joshua learned he was considered a Guardian angel and was unwittingly drawn into a political plot. Exploiting Joshua's vulnerability and promising him the opportunity to succeed in avenging his daughter's death, the Colonel suggested joining their team as an assassin to eliminate terrorists. Joshua's acceptance initiated a chain of pulse-pounding events, including perilous missions both inside and outside the group, bringing death threats to him.

I appreciate the suspenseful element in the book, where events kept me guessing about Joshua's fate—from a traumatized man to a valiant assassin. While the author didn't overly rely on suspense, the careful unfolding of events captivated my interest. For instance, my initial belief in the Colonel's alliance with Joshua shifted as his conspiracy with the director came to light. Emotionally, I connected with Joshua's handling of loss, and his deliberate approach to the tasks given to him, rather than hastily executing the director's target, added depth to the narrative.
I like the sound of this book; it has many of the elements I enjoy, such as terrorists, assassins, and conspiracies! Your review has made me very curious about the Colonel's character and the political plot involved. I enjoyed reading your review; thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one with us! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

This book promise the elements I love in crime and thriller novels. Would Joshua succeed in avenging his daughter's death, coming out unscathed? I love your suspenseful description of the plot.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

The layers of trauma from losing both his wife to cancer and his daughter to terrorism create a deeply moving narrative. Joshua's struggle with the aftermath, including attempted suicide and haunting nightmares, sets the stage for a poignant exploration of grief and resilience.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”