Review of The Missing: A Novel by Leon Skrywer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review of The Missing: A Novel by Leon Skrywer

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Missing: A Novel by Leon Skrywer" by Leon Skrywer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Every year, thousands of black people go missing, never to be found again. Some are a result of black-on-black crime, allegedly. But could it be a result of something more sinister? When Susan dies in a car crash and her daughter mysteriously goes missing, John, an investigative journalist, takes it upon himself to get to the bottom of it. Was DeShawn, Susan's estranged husband, responsible? John's search for truth leads him into a maze whose truth is more than he fathomed.

The Missing is a novel by Leon Skrywer. The book is set in the US. It brings to light the issues of spooky disappearances of black people. The book resonates with the pain families experience when they lose a loved one. Through John's character, we also get a snippet of the effects of losing loved ones on mental health. John advocates for the need to acknowledge the outcomes of poor mental health, especially for black folks. I found this very commendable. The author did not hold back from showing the atrocities that black people in the US face. This includes living in desolate neighborhoods and being exposed to exorbitant force by law enforcers. The author also used this platform to name a few victims of police brutality to keep their names and struggle for justice alive.

This book blends various themes, which include love, betrayal, loss, drug abuse, police brutality, and racism. What I loved most about the book is John's determination to bring justice even though he could have ditched the course and sought a better life. I also loved Brice, who was able to see through the lies and realize the privilege that white people have over black people. Lauren was also an impressive character; she put herself out there to help as much as possible.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the numerous errors. However, I believe another round of editing with the suggestions I'll provide will do this book the justice it deserves. I, therefore, cannot give this book a perfect score due to the errors, but it does not merit anything lower than 4 out of 5 stars due to the noteworthy themes it underscores.

I recommend this book to lovers of mystery and action novels. The book has some adult-related content; therefore, younger readers should proceed cautiously.

The Missing: A Novel by Leon Skrywer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging mystery full of action but also important themes that are developed in a great blend, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

As I dive into your review of "The Missing," the intensity of the novel's themes unfolds before me. Your vivid portrayal of the characters, particularly John's determination and Brice's insight, sparks my curiosity. The exploration of societal issues like police brutality and racism, woven into the storyline, adds a layer of depth to the narrative. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”