Review of Murder in Swan Bay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of Murder in Swan Bay

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder in Swan Bay" by Edward Vogler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When faced with challenges in life, how do you respond? Murder in Swan Bay by Edward Vogler tells the story of a man who must overcome adversity and bring justice to his beloved city. Detective Joe Pickerelli is an overworked policeman who hardly ever spends time with his family. After begging his boss for some time off, Joe and his wife enjoy a romantic weekend together. Tragedy strikes as they are relaxing on the beach, and Joe’s life turns upside down. Reeling from the sudden turn of events, Joe vows to find the person who tried to murder him, but he soon realizes that this case is far bigger than he could have ever imagined. He follows a trail of deception, corruption, and betrayal to expose the secrets of an elusive crime family. Can the detective rise to the occasion or will he fold under the pressure?

The cover features an eye-catching photo of a rocky shoreline with some seagulls blurred in motion as they fly overhead. The angular, yellow title font complements the photo’s color scheme, but the words are blurry. Conversely, the author’s name is clearly printed in white. The themes of the novel include crime, drama, grief, family dynamics, friendship, love, and betrayal. There are several instances where profanity is used in the text. The violence in this book is implied more than it is described.

Joe is a believable character who is easy to empathize with. At first, he seems like an “average Joe,” but as the story progresses, readers see another side of him. His integrity and determination really shines through. Maddy, Joe’s eight-year-old daughter, is a ray of hope for him in his darkest hour. She provides motivation to him when he is overwhelmed by his grief and the stress of his job. Her sweet innocence brings a nice contrast to the serious tone of the story. Andy, one of Joe’s coworkers, is always eager to help him with the case. Her Southern charm mellows the male-dominated environment. Andy’s softer approach even soothes the metaphorical dragon that is Joe’s boss, Lieutenant Dawson. Dawson rules with an iron fist, barking orders at every officer under his command. Despite his unfriendly demeanor, he means well. Each character grows along with the changing situation, revealing his/her multifaceted personality.

I like the fact that Detective Pickerelli has powers of deduction that seem to rival those of the great Sherlock Holmes. Joe has a strong olfactory system, allowing him to smell everything like a bloodhound. In his descriptions, the author often emphasizes smells, mentioning odors such as sweat, cheap perfume, and delicious food. Mr. Vogler also provides excellent character descriptions and vivid details of the various settings. He also uses suspense to keep readers invested in the story. Due to the realistic depiction of the grieving process, I found myself shedding tears as I read about the death of one character and the mourning that resulted.

However, I felt that that character’s death occurred in a way that was too melodramatic in a stereotypically Hollywood style. I also found more than ten typographical errors in the text. So, the book could use another round of careful editing. Otherwise, this is a well-written book, and I have no other criticisms.

Therefore, I have decided to give Murder in Swan Bay by Edward Vogler a rating of four out of five stars. I deducted one star mainly because of the errors. If the editing is improved, this book could earn a perfect score. As is, this is an entertaining story that explores the dark nature of corruption and organized crime as well as the concept of a healthy work-life balance. I recommend this novel to fans of crime thrillers and mysteries. With one case solved and a new chapter of his life beginning, Detective Pickerelli has other adventures on the horizon. So, I look forward to reading the upcoming sequel to this novel.

Murder in Swan Bay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A crime thriller centered around a cop who must face grave danger and a criminal organization targetting him and more. It sounds interesting, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ringle-nashak.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ringle Nashak »

I felt that that character’s death occurred in a way that was too melodramatic in a stereotypically Hollywood style.
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ringle-nashak.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ringle Nashak »

this is an entertaining story that explores the dark nature of corruption and organized crime as well as the concept of a healthy work-life balance.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The premise of a detective facing personal adversity and navigating a complex crime adds an element of intrigue, and the review emphasizes the multifaceted nature of the story. The cover description provides a visual representation of the novel, and the mention of themes such as crime, drama, grief, family dynamics, friendship, love, and betrayal gives me an understanding of the diverse elements woven into the narrative. Well done on this review.
Mbone Buthees 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mbone Buthees 1 »

This book seems intriguing and full of suspense. I've always been into these crime action books. I have to check this one out.
Biswajit Barman 1
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

While the book is not without its faults, such as frequent geographical errors and moments of melodrama, these minor issues completely detract from the overall themes of the story. "Murder in Swan Bay" is a riveting read that will keep readers guessing until the end and consider the sufferers as storytellers.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

It is sad how the Detective's vacation turned out but it will be a thrill to follow his investigation to discover who tried to kill him. I love mysteries and I am certain I will love this too.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you
Sweeter Parker
Currently Reading:

Post by Sweeter Parker »

The story seems suspenseful and sounds like something I definitely will be into. I am most definitely going to read this book. I can't wait to witness the suspense for myself. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”