Review of Tokema

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Hesterville Bible Trial by Yaakov Yosef Reinman

Review of Tokema

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tokema" by Anie Zinter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tokema by Anie Zinter is a thrilling horror and mystery novel. The main character, Doris Draker, is responsible for the horrific murder of nine people. Though many would have preferred she be found guilty of murder and be sentenced to life imprisonment or even given the death penalty, instead she is found not guilty by the jury based on insanity, and the judge, recognizing that what she has done is truly evil but deciding that she needs help, confines her to Tokema State Hospital for life. Doris meets Dr. Vernirelli in Tokema, and he appears to be the only one who believes that she's not insane. Together, they find out that a Wendigo uses Doris's body to commit the murders, and they search for ways to set Doris free from the Wendigo. Can Doris be truly free, and is she doomed forever? It's a tale of hope and the question of whether evil is truly defeated in the end.

The story is centered around Tokema State Hospital. Tokema State Hospital is a psychiatric hospital, and the inmates are divided into 10 levels depending on the severity of their medical condition. The author gives the reader a vivid description of what goes on in a psychiatric hospital. The mystery surrounding the murders makes it a good mystery novel that will keep the readers intrigued. The author's use of the Wendigo, which is a mythological creature or evil spirit that is said to possess humans and make them cannibals, is an interesting choice, and it makes the story more real than an imaginary monster.

Dr. Vernirelli is one character in the book that I like so much. His professionalism and his commitment to his patients are commendable. While the other doctors treated Doris unfairly and harshly, he was one character who stood out when others had their agendas; he was always selfless. He had compassion for his patients, one valuable attribute a good doctor should have. I was also amazed by his fearlessness in the face of danger, and he strived to ensure that things were done right.

I found immense enjoyment in the book; however, a noticeable flaw was its lack of chapters, creating a sense of an endless labyrinth for readers. Introducing chapters could enhance accessibility, breaking down the story into digestible pieces. Despite this, the author's ability to deliver a captivating narrative is truly commendable.

I give the book a rating of four out of five stars. One star was deducted due to the aforementioned flaw. Furthermore, the conclusion of Doris's story moved me to tears; it was truly heartbreaking. I recommend this book to all lovers of horror novels and to those who are not afraid to delve into the world of spirits and supernatural beings that can take over and control a human being. Mystery lovers are not left out, as this story promises to keep you entertained.

Tokema
View: on Bookshelves
Chunnu Muduli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chunnu-muduli.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chunnu Muduli »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Tokema. The mix of horror, mystery, and the psychological thriller vibe seems intriguing, especially with the unique twist involving the Wendigo. Dr. Vernirelli's character adds depth, and despite the lack of chapters, your enthusiasm for the narrative shines through. I'm definitely curious about Doris's journey.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

The world of spirits and supernatural beings always intrigues me. Thank you for the honest and informative review. I'm going to go through this book, for sure. And the way you described Dr. Vernirelli is commendable.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

The book looks really exciting! Even though I'm not a huge fan horror, I think I will read this book as it looks like a cool crime novel.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging supernatural thriller but I understand the star deduction, as an uninterrupted flow of words can be a burden for readers hindering their experience. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I am not really a fan of the kind of stories however i found your review interesting good job.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

Despite not being a horror fan, you're drawn to the exciting premise of the crime novel, especially with supernatural elements. Appreciate the honest and informative review, especially the commendable description of Dr. Vernirelli. Enjoy the read!
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Florence Daniel »

Anie Zinter's choice of incorporating the Wendigo, a mythological creature, lends a unique and realistic aspect to the narrative. The novel skillfully balances horror, mystery, and the quest for freedom, making it a compelling read for those interested in tales that challenge the boundaries of reality and imagination.
Dani Elle Ele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

Anie Zinter's incorporation of the Wendigo, a mythological creature, adds a unique and realistic aspect to the narrative. The novel skillfully balances horror, mystery, and the quest for freedom, making it a compelling read for those interested in tales that challenge the boundaries of reality and imagination.
J Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-writes.html
Latest Review: Three Paths to Autonomy and Self-Actualisation for Therapists and Clients by Linda Gregory Ph.D.

Post by J Writes »

The reviewer expresses gratitude for the detailed depiction of the psychiatric hospital setting, which gives the story depth and draws readers into the scene. It is remarked that the usage of the Wendigo as a mythical device to advance the storyline is an intriguing decision that deepens the narrative.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

I appreciate your insights on Tokema. The blend of horror, mystery, and psychological thriller elements, coupled with the unique twist of the Wendigo, sounds compelling. Dr. Vernirelli's character appears to add depth to the story, and despite the absence of chapters, your enthusiasm for the narrative is evident. I'm definitely intrigued and will be delving into this book.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Saliha Hussain »

The book appears to be quite thrilling! Despite not being a big horror fan myself, I'm intrigued to read it since it seems like a fascinating crime novel. Anie Zinter's decision to include the Wendigo, a mythological creature, adds an original and believable element to the story. The novel adeptly combines horror, mystery, and the pursuit of freedom, making it an engaging choice for readers interested in stories that push the limits of reality and creativity.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Saliha Hussain »

I appreciate your insights on Tokema. The blend of horror, mystery, and psychological thriller elements, coupled with the unique twist of the Wendigo, sounds compelling. Dr. Vernirelli's character appears to add depth to the story, and despite the absence of chapters, your enthusiasm for the narrative is evident. I'm definitely intrigued and will be delving into this book.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Sounds like a very interesting story with an unexpected twist.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”