Review of Some Must Die

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chad Anthony
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Review of Some Must Die

Post by Chad Anthony »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Some Must Die" by Angie D. Comer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As a victim of child sexual molestation and abuse, Chris felt that his road to healing was murdering his abuser and the abusers of other children he would get to save. He became a killer, but to him, it was for a good cause. Is Chris justified in his act? Some Must Die by Angie D. Comer is an absolutely realistic read of the perils that plague people's lives.

The book stirred my emotions, and I felt great sympathy for the victims of abuse. Readers would be moved to contemplate the evil perpetrated on young children by grown adults who are expected to protect them from the harsh realities of life. It is a book that can question one's stance on morality in society and whether the abused are justified in their erratic behavior in response to the trauma they have faced.

There were philosophical and biblical quotes at the beginning of the chapters, which readers would learn from. During Chris' (who later changed his name to Carl) quest to save lives, he noticed that most of the abusers were 'ordinary' and 'normal'-looking people whom one would not have suspected, which also reminded me of and taught me not to take the world at face value.

I was satisfied with Chris' acts of justice, even though he was doing it in a supposedly negative way. Also, how he carried along the rescued kids and his relationship with them was heartwarming. It created an avenue for healing and bonding. Also, his character has a unique personality. Carl was a daring character whose motives, though leaning towards the negative, were motivated by painful and traumatic experiences. He was something of a Robinhood, doing something many would frown upon for a supposedly righteous cause. I would say that he was a character who experienced growth within the time frame of the story.

I also appreciate the author's ingenuity in switching from the first-person narrative technique, whereby different characters had the chance to narrate their experiences, to the omniscient narrative technique at some points. Also, I need to commend the character development, which is one of the backbones of this novel. The suspense is superb, and the dialogue flows naturally without any confusion.

My favorite character was Bonnie because she proved to be a loyal and reliable friend to Carl throughout their journeys and trials. Even when he went to jail, she did not fail to go and pay him visits. She was courageous enough to go, even when she might be outed as his accomplice.

I recommend Some Must Die to readers from teenage years to adulthood. The book went through exceptional editing because I did not come across any errors. I also did not dislike anything in the book. Therefore, I rate it five out of five stars.

Some Must Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel digs into really dark parts of humanity exploring the long-term consequence of terrible abuses in the story of a man who thinks he's being righteous in his killings. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for providing such a thorough and enthusiastic review of Patricia Conroy's "Mockingbird Moon". Your observations regarding the book's captivating plot, outstanding visuals, and educational value are useful to future readers. It's encouraging to learn how the author was able to pique people's interest in nature and bird watching. Your personal connection to the narrative, together with the recommendations for different audiences, gives dimension to the review. Excellent job conveying your passion!
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Adam Bryce Stern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-bryce-stern.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Adam Bryce Stern »

A catchy title, great plot, excellent characters. Your review did adequate justice to this novel. An emotional read and Chris is a very interesting character. Will check the book out to see how he ends up.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

This review of "Some Must Die" by Angie D. Comer suggests that the book is a compelling and thought-provoking read. It tackles the sensitive topic of child abuse and the protagonist's controversial response to it. The reviewer appreciates the emotional depth and realism portrayed in the story, along with the exploration of moral dilemmas. The characters, particularly the protagonist Carl, show growth and complexity. The book's suspense, natural dialogue, and excellent editing are also highlighted as strengths. Overall, the review rates it as a five-star read and recommends it for readers from teenage years to adulthood.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The emotional depth and exploration of the aftermath of abuse intrigued me. Your mention of the philosophical quotes and the revelation about the 'ordinary' appearance of abusers struck a chord, reminding me not to judge at face value. The unique character development, suspense, and seamless narrative transitions you highlighted have fueled my excitement to delve into this thought-provoking story. Your endorsement of the author's ingenuity and the absence of errors in editing solidify my decision to pick up this book.
J Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-writes.html
Latest Review: Three Paths to Autonomy and Self-Actualisation for Therapists and Clients by Linda Gregory Ph.D.

Post by J Writes »

Despite Chris's seeming bad actions, I was happy with his deeds of justice. It was also endearing to see how he treated the rescued children and how he traveled with them. It made a path for reconciliation and healing. His character has a distinct personality as well. Although Carl's motivations tended to be negative, he was a bold guy driven by severe and agonizing events. He was kind of a Robin Hood, going against the grain for what was purported to be a noble purpose. He was a character who, in my opinion, matured with the course of the narrative.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

I appreciate your comprehensive and enthusiastic review of Patricia Conroy's "Mockingbird Moon". The title is catchy, the plot is great, and the characters are excellent. Your review effectively captures the essence of the novel. It seems to be an emotional journey, and Chris appears to be a fascinating character. Your insights on the engaging plot, vivid descriptions, and educational aspects provide valuable guidance for prospective readers. I'll definitely look into the book to discover how Chris's story unfolds.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

The review of "Some Must Die" by Angie D. Comer suggests it's a compelling and thought-provoking exploration of child abuse and the protagonist's controversial response. The emotional depth, realism, and moral dilemmas depicted in the story are praised, along with the growth and complexity of characters like Carl. Additionally, the book's suspense, natural dialogue, and meticulous editing contribute to its five-star rating and recommendation for readers spanning teenage years to adulthood.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”