Review of The Bully of Baldwin Street

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of The Bully of Baldwin Street

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bully of Baldwin Street" by Wayman Hackley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Bully of Baldwin Street by Wayman Hackley is a coming-of-age novel where we see the expanse of Derek’s life and the situations that led to his dilemma, landing him in prison for life.

In the book, Derek narrates to a group of students about his life, which was cut short by his poor choices and bullying tendencies. He uses this program filled with so many bathroom breaks to discourage students from following on that same part, as he served as a living witness to the fact that it is unprofitable. He tells them his tale with so much vigor, humor, and enthusiasm that you may actually doubt he is in prison.

I loved the humor of the author and how he kept everything light in the book, giving his readers a good laugh. I also loved the way the author was able to narrate the stories of Derek vividly; it was very imaginative, and I could picture everything in my head. I loved how he depicted young, innocent love in the book, which gave the book an extra spice as I looked forward to the scenes of Audrey and Derek. I also appreciate the font choice, as it enhanced my reading experience.

However, I felt that the pacing was too slow, which may make it get boring easily. I oftentimes felt most of the scenes that were added to the book only made the book longer than it should have been. I feel this may be unique to just me but I would have loved to see the pace pick up as the book progressed. In addition, I found a lot of errors in the book. I think it needs one more round of editing.

I would rate the book 4 out of 5 stars because I believe it was not properly edited and also because, despite a nice start, the pace affected my smooth enjoyment.

I would recommend this book to fiction lovers who are looking for a coming-of-age story and also to young adult readers.

The Bully of Baldwin Street
View: on Bookshelves
Adam Bryce Stern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-bryce-stern.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Adam Bryce Stern »

Sounds like an interesting coming if age novel, sure to be filled with lots of life lessons. Congrats on a beautiful review. Will definitely check the book out.
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I guess this novel is especially suitable to readers who appreciate long descriptions in coming-of-age stories that offer life lessons. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

The fact that Derek was able to reflect on his past actions and also advice other people not to make the same mistakes he made, that really tells us that he regrets ever being a bully because there is really no gain in doing such. I really hope to read this story soon. Thanks for such an amazing review.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The reviewer's feedback suggests that "The Bully of Baldwin Street" by Wayman Hackley is an interesting read with humorous elements and vivid storytelling. However, they mention that the slow pacing and editing errors hindered their enjoyment. Overall, they rated the book 4 out of 5 stars and would recommend it to fiction and young adult readers.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The humor injected by the author promises an enjoyable read, and the vivid narration of Derek's story adds an imaginative touch that I find intriguing. I share the reviewer's excitement for the depiction of young love and appreciate the attention to detail, even in font choice. While noting concerns about pacing and editing, I'm ready to embrace the charm of this novel.
J Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by J Writes »

But the review also notes that the book's pacing isn't perfect, with readers possibly becoming bored at certain points due to the story's plodding development. Furthermore, a thorough editing pass would likely be beneficial to improve the book's readability and polish, given the abundance of errors in it.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

Thank you for providing your insightful review. The reviewer's feedback indicates that "The Bully of Baldwin Street" by Wayman Hackley is an engaging read characterized by humor and vivid storytelling. However, they note that slow pacing and editing errors affected their enjoyment. Despite these drawbacks, they rated the book 4 out of 5 stars and would recommend it to fiction and young adult readers.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html

Post by Azaz Raja »

thanks for your detailed review. Based on your review I will definitely give it a read.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html

Post by Azaz Raja »

Your review of "The Bully of Baldwin Street" highlights the author's skillful blend of humor and vivid storytelling, particularly in depicting Derek's life and his cautionary tale. Your appreciation for the portrayal of young love and the engaging narrative style shines through. However, you note concerns about pacing and editing issues, which slightly impacted your overall enjoyment. Your thoughtful rating and recommendation offer valuable insights for potential readers seeking a coming-of-age story.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”