Review of Alone Among Spies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of Alone Among Spies

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alone Among Spies" by Rhiannon Beaubien.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Life takes a turn for Jillian when the CIA picks interest in her, from being a boring Canadian signal intelligence officer to liaising with the CIA and almost bursting her cover in a foreign country.

This story is set in Germany during the Cold War. Life in Germany is full of spies, and everybody is probably lying about their real identity. Jillian, in her naivety, gets mixed up with one of them, which makes her a person of interest to the CIA, putting her work in Germany at risk. Getting involved with the CIA seems like the worst that can happen, but it isn’t, as Jillian puts herself, her work, and the people around her at risk as she tries to help a friend who is in East Berlin, posing danger in all spheres. As you read the book, Alone Among Spies, by Rhiannon Beaubien, you can only hope everything turns out well for Jillian and she achieves the best in the role she has decided to take in this spy game.

I loved everything about the book; the intrigue was top-notch, and it was really intense, especially towards the end. I loved how the author was able to shed a little light on the things that happened during the Cold War and also bits of the Second World War; it was really enlightening. I loved the fact that the author always kept us suspicious of the characters, expecting a new reveal; it added a mysterious spice to the book. I also loved the title of the book. I felt it was really catchy, as it would sure drag readers to its contents, and it was also fitting for all that happened in the book; there couldn’t have been a better title.

I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars because I felt it was a perfect book; there was nothing to dislike. The author did justice to the plot of the story, making it perfect crime fiction filled with all the right themes.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy crime fiction and books about law enforcement agencies.

Alone Among Spies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

I couldn't agree more with the review! The suspense and intensity towards the end of "Alone Among Spies" really caught my attention. The author's ability to shed light on the Cold War and bits of the Second World War was not only enlightening but added a captivating layer to the story. The constant suspicion of characters kept me on the edge of my seat, making it a mysterious and engaging read. The title is indeed catchy and fitting. I'm excited to delve into this perfect crime fiction filled with the right themes. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

This review provides a compelling overview of the book "Alone Among Spies" by Rhiannon Beaubien. The reviewer praises the intense intrigue and clever character development, highlighting the author's ability to shed light on historical events. The title captures the essence of the story, and the reviewer rates it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Readers who enjoy crime fiction and law enforcement-themed books are highly recommended to give it a read. Overall, it appears to be a thrilling and well-executed book.
J Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by J Writes »

The reviewer finds the book to be very engaging because of its deep intrigue, and they especially enjoy the suspenseful parts that build towards the end. They also find the author's use of historical context to be insightful and adds a deeper level of meaning to the story. The reviewer also finds the constant suspicion surrounding the characters to be intriguing and mysterious, and they find the title to be appropriate and catchy.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A spy story with twists and characters who are not what they seem whose secrets are probably revealed throughout the novel is certainly interesting for me. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

This insightful review beautifully captures the essence of "Alone Among Spies" by Rhiannon Beaubien, highlighting its gripping storyline set against the backdrop of Cold War Germany. The reader's appreciation for the intrigue, historical context, and mysterious elements showcased in the narrative speaks to the book's compelling nature. With its seamless blend of espionage and historical fiction, this novel promises an enthralling read for fans of the genre.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

This review offers a captivating glimpse into "Alone Among Spies" by Rhiannon Beaubien, praising its gripping intrigue, nuanced characters, and historical insight. The reviewer awards it a flawless 5-star rating, recommending it enthusiastically to fans of crime fiction and law enforcement-themed literature. In summary, the book promises to be a thrilling and expertly crafted read.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”