Featured Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Re: Featured Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Have you ever pondered about how a massive, internationally sought after engineering project gets off the ground? Have you ever realized that when many nations are competing against each other not only to win a bid like this but maintain their national interest in an area, tensions are extraordinarily high? Christoph Martin, the author of this book, most definitely has and he uses this (and more) to set the stage for his exceptional thriller, The Expansion. This book dips the reader's toe into the cutthroat business world, the sleaziness of corporate espionage, the intrigue of clandestine agencies, and centers it all on the expansion of one of the most influential waterways in the world: The Panama Canal.

Although the book is written from multiple perspectives, the story line mainly follows a British geomatics engineer, Max Burns, as he embarks on the opportunity of a lifetime. Leaving a steady job (and his future wife) behind, Max Burns makes his way to Panama where he has been given the opportunity to be a part of a British company's bid for the contract to expand the Panama Canal. Although they are not the only company putting in a bid, Max collaborates with his long-lost childhood friend to lead a top-notch team in the presentation of a winning submission. Unfortunately, things are not as straightforward as they may seem. Plans for another canal in Nicaragua put into question the motives of the Chinese, the Americans have vested interest in the Panama canal and may do anything to ensure their continued influence, intelligence agencies are monitoring all involved, and back-door deals are a dime a dozen.

This story really makes me wonder if a second canal across Central America would be feasible especially through a violent country like Nicaragua. Espionage and intrigue make this book even more interesting. Great review.
Romi Ramb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romi4everram.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Romi Ramb »

Nothing better than a good thriller to keep you entertained. I think I would like to read
This book and enjoy it myself. Nice Review! Thank You!
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

A thriller based around the expansion of the Suez canal sounds fascinating!
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The Expansion is all about winning the project of Panama Canal expansion and written fabulously the workings of the corporate world in the race to win the big project.
paulamr
Currently Reading: The Pro-Achievement Principle
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by paulamr »

Sounds exciting...big money, international espionage, and cutthroat business world. Thanks for the heads up on the cliffhanger. I think I'll wait until the sequel is out.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you really enjoyed the book. I also like a books to tie up all loose ends. In the sample I found the frequent language interfering with my concentration of the storyline.
Sejall7_
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejall7.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Sejall7_ »

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding cliffhangers! I am not a huge fan of books with cliffhangers. Yes, it does give us some suspense but if the book is already short I don't think there's a need to publish a sequel separately. Anyways, nice review! I liked the intro of your review !
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think this sounds like a cool book. I see everyone commenting on the sex scenes, but I consider that, as long as they are justified, that should not be a problem. The style of your review was very nice, by the way. Thanks.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I've always enjoyed reading c/t/m/h books. This one sounds like it is in my wheelhouse for sure. Great review.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I would not mind a fast-paced book, which is equally a page-turner. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
BwayPrincess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BwayPrincess »

This sounds like an interesting book! I haven't read many books like this one, but then again, I'm still young and my interests are expanding as I get older, so I may have to give it a try! :D
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

A thriller centered around a bud for the project to expand the Panama canal, with all the business infighting, espionage, and politics that go with it? This is most definitely my kind of book. I will have to read it, if only to find out about the cliffhanger at the end.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

This is an intriguing story about the complexities of an international engineering project. Congratulations on BOTD!
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Oh my goodness!! Your review is beyond amazing and so very detailed and informative enough, that I think I might want to add this book to be read at some point.
Awesome job!!!
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Corporate espionage is such a thrilling plot in a novel and I am looking forward into digging into this one to find out how this will be explored or played out. Corruption exist everywhere and how the culprits will get their comeuppance is exciting. Congrats!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”