Review of Somebody Knows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Somebody Knows

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Somebody Knows" by Pamela Ungashick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pamela Ungashick’s Somebody Knows is a dramatic story proving that not getting involved could cause death. Red could not work because of a head injury he sustained in a mining accident. Edith resented being married to Red because they were living in poverty. However, she had a plan for Audrey that would make them rich. Audrey was pretty, but Edith felt her attitude needed work. Audrey is rushing to catch the bus, but Johnny and Cliff knock her down. To her surprise, Freddie stands up for her and makes the boys apologize. Unfortunately, Audrey misses the bus, so Freddie’s mother offers her a ride. Mrs. Littleton and Freddie help Audrey fit in at school.

After finding Audrey’s diary, which shows how badly Edith treats Audrey and her father, Edith seeks out Mr. Trent’s help. Meanwhile, Red has fallen ill. When the doctor states that Red needs better care, Audrey and her younger brother, Harry, take over his care. Harry comes home to find that Audrey and her belongings are gone. Edith claims Audrey is helping a cousin, but Harry knows they don’t have any cousins. The veiled threat Edith gives Harry makes him stay quiet. He helps Red, and his father is getting better. Edith is preparing a special meal for her husband, and Harry thinks everything is going to be okay. He didn’t know that he was completely wrong.

Divided into two parts, Somebody Knows is a thriller and family drama full of intense suspense. The alternating views between Edith, Audrey, and Harry give a complete view of what is happening in the Scott family’s dilapidated home. The unpredictable plot is like riding a roller coaster; just as I thought I had the answers, the sudden twists took me in a different direction. Edith blames her poverty and living conditions on other people. Audrey’s attempts to stand up against her mother result in complete malice. Harry’s meek nature and special treatment deteriorate when he asks questions.

Somebody Knows is an exceptional book full of intrigue and mystery. On the surface, it is dealing with generational abuse and conflict, but it dives much deeper. The actions each character takes are relatable reactions to what is happening around them. Exceptional attention to detail in the surroundings and atmosphere of each moment is easy to envision. The vivid details are perfectly in balance to make the book flow smoothly.

I rate Somebody Knows 5 out of 5 stars. The editing of the story is flawless. I did not find any errors. The intriguing plot kept me from putting the book down. The supporting characters add depth to the story, and their actions become more understandable. I found it sad that Audrey and Harry are outcasts because of their mother and grandmother’s actions in the past.

Adult readers who enjoy psychological thrillers will find this book appealing. The child abuse, rape scene, mention of murder, and graphic description of Red’s condition may offend some people. Somebody Knows has nothing negative and is one of my favorite thrillers.

Somebody Knows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

This is a well thought out review. I did think the summary portion is too matter-of-fact. But when you expressed all the positive things you enjoyed, it made me curious to read this book. It sounds like it has just the right amount of mystery and suspense which is what I like. Thank you.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

The plot is rife with suspense and unexpected twists, keeping readers on the edge of their seats until the very end. Just when it seems like the characters may find some semblance of peace, a new revelation or betrayal sends them spiraling back into chaos. The unpredictable nature of the story makes it akin to a roller coaster ride, with each new development eliciting a mix of shock and excitement.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The review effectively conveys the dramatic nature of the story, emphasizing the potential consequences of not getting involved in a situation that could lead to tragedy. The central characters, such as Red, Edith, Audrey, and Harry, are introduced with their respective challenges and conflicts, setting the stage for a family drama filled with intense suspense.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

This review of "Somebody Knows" by Pamela Ungashick provides a detailed and positive assessment of the book. You highlights the dramatic nature of the story, emphasizing its central theme that not getting involved could lead to dire consequences. The characters, particularly Red, Edith, Audrey, and Harry, are described in their roles within the Scott family's challenging circumstances.
Daniel Chigozie ANI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-chigozie-ani.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance

Post by Daniel Chigozie ANI »

This review of Pamela provides a detailed and positive assessment of the book. You highlights the dramatic nature of the story, and much more reality, getting involved could lead to dire consequences. The characters, particularly Red, Edith, Audrey, and Harry, a good one.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing psychological thriller though the digging into some dark sides of humanity means that I need to be in the right mood for some strong drama. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love family dramas. They're relatable (all families are a little—or a lot—messed up), and reading them it's a bit like spying on your neighbors. But I also think the message you extracted from this book is meaningful: keeping quiet can have dire consequences. Thank you!
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

This review of "Somebody Knows" by Pamela Ungashick paints a vivid picture of a gripping tale filled with suspense and family drama. The intricate portrayal of characters like Audrey, Harry, and Edith, coupled with the unexpected twists in the plot, keeps readers on the edge of their seats. It's undoubtedly a must-read for adult audiences seeking an intense and thought-provoking story. I will love to read it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”