Review of The Jade Rabbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of The Jade Rabbit

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Jade Rabbit" by Paul Silvestri.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Jade Rabbit by Paul Silvestri is book 1 of The Jack Castle Files series. Jack Castle is a private investigator hired by Richard Laughton, a collector of rare Chinese jade figurines, to return a package stolen by Tom Figgis. Tom Figgis worked as a landscape gardener at his client's house but was fired when the man found out he was a fraud. While on this mission, Jack had his knee badly injured and was recommended to Dr. Andrew Roberts for surgery. However, the surgery costs a fortune, and he can't afford it. This led both men to cut a deal that would be good for each of them.

Dr. Roberts' niece, Hayley Roberts, who has been looking for someone to help her in her acting career, left with someone and didn't mention whom. Dr. Robert asks Jack, as a private investigator, to find out where Hayley is and if she's okay in exchange for free knee surgery. What started out as a straightforward missing person case turned into murder, with stolen Chinese figurines involved. The worst happened when Jack became a prime suspect in this murder. Did Jack do it? Will he be able to find Hayley Roberts? Get a copy of this book to find out.

I love the pace with which this story was told. It was not rushed, and the suspense was in the right proportion. I love that the author developed the characters well. I so much loved the character of Gary, not because his traits and behavior are likable, but because he is your typical friend who has all the ideas but happens to end up doing them wrong or getting in trouble. I also love the way Jack tolerates him. On many occasions, I was sure that Jack would snap and tell him to get out and never come back, but that is not Jack. Every single character, even the minor ones like Priscilla White, was well-developed, and the plot was well-planned.

I am recommending The Jade Rabbit by Paul Silvestri to anyone who loves books that solve murder mysteries. I can't think of anything that I dislike about this book that diminishes my reading experience. It is my pleasure to rate it 5 out of 5 stars. The Jade Rabbit is a very interesting and well-developed detective story. The elements of uncertainty and surprise in it had me hooked. The book has definitely made it to one of my best books of the year. I seriously hope to get the opportunity to read book 2 of The Jack Castle Files because I loved this one. The book was also professionally edited.

The Jade Rabbit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not really in the market for a new series now, but you made this sound very worthwhile. The fact that it is recommended so highly might overcome my reservations. I am almost always up for a good mystery. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A good murder mystery is always a pleasure to read for me. This one seems to have an interesting plot with well-constructed characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"The Jade Rabbit" by Paul Silvestri is a gripping start to The Jack Castle Files series, delivering a thrilling blend of mystery, suspense, and intrigue. From the outset, Silvestri captivates readers with a riveting tale of private investigator Jack Castle's quest to recover stolen Chinese figurines and solve a seemingly straightforward missing person case.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

This review beautifully captures the essence of "The Jade Rabbit" by Paul Silvestri! It's evident that the book offers an immersive experience with its well-paced narrative and intricately developed characters. I'm captivated by the idea of a thrilling mystery interwoven with elements of surprise and uncertainty. Count me in for a thrilling ride through the pages of this book!
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

The Jade Rabbit by Paul Silvestri, book 1 of The Jack Castle Files series, looks to be a gripping mystery tale. I want to add it to my shelves to read it in the future. Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”