Review of The Awful Grace of Littlefarm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Review of The Awful Grace of Littlefarm

Post by Kristin Cowan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Awful Grace of Littlefarm" by Chris Kassel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Awful Grace of Littlefarm is a unique thriller surrounding an old white house called Littlefarm and the people and events connected to it. The book is split into three parts written in first person by different individuals tied to the mystery of Littlefarm. Donald Grimes sets out to purchase Littlefarm, his family home with a history of murder. Donald discusses the rumors involving a serial killer in the mid-19th century and his alleged victims found near the old house. The townspeople believe the killer was Donald’s uncle, but Donald dismisses the claims; he knows more than they realize.

When an up-and-coming author Lillian arrives in town to write about the murders, she temporarily moves into the old house to research the murders firsthand. Donald is thrilled to have a guest, especially a female one. By staying in the old house, she is determined to find the truth. Part three, told by undocumented teenager Graciela, ties up the story and ties the three characters together.

This story has a lot of twists and turns that I did not see coming. I enjoyed how the author split the book into three separate narratives, told by different individuals experiencing many of the same events. Developing three main characters with defining personality traits can be hard. The author does a good job with this. The reader can feel the overwhelming narcissism of Don, the insecure neediness from Jennifer, and the survivalist instincts of Graciela.
I rate this book 4 out of 5. Not only is this story intriguing and unique, but it is also very well-written. It includes complex characters with a variety of issues as well as entirely unexpected plot twists. I took off one star due to minor editing issues.

I would recommend this book to any fans of crime and suspense. There are some adult themes so I would only recommend this book to adults.

The Awful Grace of Littlefarm
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing murder mystery and I guess the three points of view can offer a big picture that might give some clues about the killer's identity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I loved this one
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

Your review of "The Awful Grace of Littlefarm" adeptly captures the essence of the novel's unique thriller narrative, highlighting its structure with three distinct perspectives and the complexity of its characters. Your appreciation for the unexpected twists and well-written storytelling shines through, despite minor editing issues. Your rating and recommendation provide valuable insights for potential readers, particularly those interested in crime and suspense genres. Overall, it's a thoughtful and informative review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”