Review of In the Shadow of the Black Serpent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of In the Shadow of the Black Serpent

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Shadow of the Black Serpent" by Jimi London.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sarah had settled in Wimbleton Hollow for her retirement. She had closed the chapter on unraveling hidden secrets, chasing criminals, and bringing them to justice. Yet the whisper of her past echoes loudly, and she finds herself craving the thrill and excitement of her detective days.

In the Shadow of the Black Serpent: Unveiling the Secrets of the Elusive Cult by Jimi London tells the story of Sarah Miller, who is drawn back into the world of secrets, crime-fighting, and historical mysteries. She is forced to leave her retirement when a friend from the past calls on her to solve mystery murders happening across continents. A single element connects them all—a symbol of the Black Serpent. Her search for answers led her to the beginning of civilization in Egypt. Can she decipher the plans of the Black Serpent and stop it in time? Or would the world suffer untold chaos and darkness?

Seeing the cover of the book and reading the first few pages of the prologue, I was extremely intrigued and equally excited to delve into the book and be consumed in a world of mysteries and ancient secrets. There is no doubt that the book is captivating, arresting the attention of any reader that comes across it. I had expected the detective work and crime-fighting drama, but nothing prepared me for the "ancient meets modern" dynamics of the book. The author seamlessly connected ancient lore with modern tales. Jimi rooted his story of criminality in history, cryptic ancient symbols, rituals, and fanaticism. His narration is poetic, alluring, and powerful. The narration is my strongest fascination with the book. The book was exceptionally well edited. There was no error in the book. 

However, just as I praise this book, I must not fail to note down my criticisms. Once readers can sift through the grandiose and magnificent narration, there is little to nothing about the plot development of the book. The author barely developed the plot or wrote specifics about the events occurring in the book. At some point, the narration was excessively repetitive. The author never gave specifics of how deep the connection of the cult ran, of symbols found on the ancient artifacts, or of the nature of the ritual or possible key members of the Black Serpent in positions of authority. The plot could have more depth.

Considering the gravity of the case, I expected more danger, obstacles, or even unexpected twists in the story. Kareem's capture was a tense episode for me, but the excitement died when he gave up everything he knew without so much fuss. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given this book a perfect rating, but for the criticisms I mentioned above, I recommend this book to lovers of thrillers, murder mysteries, crime-fighting books, or detective stories.

In the Shadow of the Black Serpent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a peculiar murder mystery in which the actual mystery is used to develop the story of an ancient cult from the ancient time, so it might be particularly suited for readers interested in stories about secret societies. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Based on this review, I think I can enjoy this book for its captivating blend of ancient mysteries with modern crime-solving. The book promises an intriguing narrative that seamlessly weaves together history, cryptic symbols, and thrilling detective work. While it received some criticism for lacking depth in plot development and occasional repetition, the book's powerful narration makes it an interesting read for me. Thank you.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

I am super intrigued by this cover of this book, and the combination of ancient and modern is a gun one. I think I'd quite enjoy this one!
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

What an insightful review of "In the Shadow of the Black Serpent" by Jimi London! Your analysis of the captivating blend of ancient lore and modern crime-fighting is spot on. It's clear that the book's poetic narration and seamless connection to history left a lasting impression on you. Your constructive criticism regarding plot development adds depth to your review, showcasing your thoughtful engagement with the story. Overall, your review provides valuable insights for potential readers, thanks for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”