Review of Hot Potato

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Review of Hot Potato

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hot Potato" by Marty Katz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Officer Mark Schaffer was on duty in Port Everglades, Florida, when Hurricane Diane reached Category 2 on a hot, sunny day that appeared to be like any other. Schaffer witnessed a crewman fall while attempting to fix a radio transmission wire on a Russian ship, the Kiev. As soon as he arrived on board to assist, the captain made an unscheduled departure. Even more surprising was that the crew of the Kiev, an oil ship, refused to let him leave and appeared to have a sophisticated military arsenal that most other oil ships did not.

Schaffer was kidnapped as the ship backed away from the port, just as backup arrived. The coast guard and police tried to block the ship’s path, but orders from Washington came to let the ship leave. What could be going on here, and why does it appear that the government is involved? Will Schaffer be able to return home to his wife and pets despite what appears to be a large-scale conspiracy? Truly, the situation was becoming a real hot potato.

"Hot Potato: A Novel" had a steady tempo that increased with the flow of events and the story's effective unraveling right from the beginning. The way Schaffer acted was described in the story as that of a very experienced and protocoled officer. All other characters had brief introductions that described their personalities without being overly detailed. This enabled me to connect with the characters as their development progressed smoothly. With the tense situation underway, the detailed description of the process and everything done to deal with it kept me engaged while reading. I was completely engrossed in the story, and the suspense and thrill kept me curious about what was going on behind the scenes.

I enjoyed the characters' resourcefulness, as minor side plots added to the excitement and made the situation more tense. Schaffer sought a way off the ship, while the political leaders on land wanted to get to the bottom of the problem and determine who was to blame. As a result, assaults and one-on-one battles took place, all of which were executed flawlessly. Years of muscle memory and meticulously planned intelligence raids brought the story to life. The hurricane threat added to this by heightening the urgency of the race against time. Finally, I thought the characters' optimism, despite the situation, provided some much-needed lightheartedness to the events, making them more relatable. Overall, this was a beautifully orchestrated story with empirically grounded realism.

This fast-paced novel was one that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. A handful of errors and editing inconsistencies were its only flaws. Another round of proofreading would greatly improve its appeal. As a result, I regrettably give Marty Katz's "Hot Potato" a less than perfect 4 out of 5 stars. This well-crafted novel, with all of its twists, will appeal to fans of action, international espionage, and suspense.

Hot Potato
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm curious to know what's really happening in this spy story and go through its twists, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to avoid distractions for readers and make it excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

"Hot Potato" delivers a thrilling tale of intrigue and suspense set amidst a high-stakes scenario. Katz skillfully crafts a fast-paced narrative that keeps readers engaged from start to finish, with well-developed characters and intense action sequences. While minor errors detract slightly from the overall experience, the novel remains a compelling read for fans of action and espionage.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”