Review of The Thin Blue Li(n)e

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: The Fall From Grace by Michael Richardson

Review of The Thin Blue Li(n)e

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thin Blue Li(n)e" by Brian Cook.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Thin Blue Li(n)e is a fictional drama novel written by Brian Cook. It is the sequel to Brian's book Hands Across the Sea and it provides an in-depth look into the world of law enforcement as it pertains to the sheriff's office. The book explores the lives and families of the men and women who serve, unveiling the drama, politics, and corruption that come with the badge.

As the book begins, following the graduation of recruits, Commander Harwell receives an accusation of sexual impropriety with a deputy from his wife. This leads to more issues down the line, as the deputy involved, Daniels, had certain expectations for her sexual favors. Meanwhile, the retired Asa Belle is forced to revisit a case from his past when he begins to read letters from Daniel Bouchette. Sheriff Brendan Callaghan and Undersheriff H. Maxwell Ulrich continue to struggle to improve the service while they deal with complaints and constraints from the union and the board of supervisors. As Sheriff Cortell's mental health continues to decline, secrets begin to unravel. What effects will this have on Callaghan's leadership? What will happen when Vasco's most elite son, Myers, takes an interest in the political career of Monica? Discover the answers to these and enjoy the other intriguing stories in this wonderful book.

There is a lot to like about this book. The book is quite character-based, with many interesting characters, each with unique ideals and flaws. Their actions are very understandable and, most of the time, relatable. My favorite character was Sergeant Ulrich. His interactions were always interesting and almost humorous. I liked his character growth, with him reconciling with his friend later in the book. The book consists of several plot points, each well-written. The dialogue was also well-done, and it represented each character well, which is impressive considering the diverse backgrounds on display. The author's experience in law enforcement is very evident throughout the book, as he provides insights into that world.

There are a few things I did not appreciate about the book. The first is its length. The book would be considered by many readers to be a rather long read. I also wished that I could have gotten a more absolute ending to some plot points within the book. Daniel's case is a prime example of this. Ultimately, none of these truly took away from the book.

I found only a few errors in this book. It was well-edited. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. The negatives do not convince me to remove a star. I recommend it to lovers of police procedural books.

The Thin Blue Li(n)e
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

Your review of "The Thin Blue Li(n)e" by Brian Cook offers a detailed and insightful analysis of the book's strengths and weaknesses. You effectively highlight the character-driven nature of the narrative, praising the depth and relatability of the characters, particularly Sergeant Ulrich. Your appreciation for the well-written plot points and dialogue, as well as the author's evident expertise in law enforcement, adds credibility to your review. However, you also provide constructive criticism regarding the book's length and the desire for more conclusive endings to certain plot points. Overall, your review offers valuable insights for potential readers and demonstrates your thorough assessment of the book. Well done!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The first book was reviewed several years ago, so I had to look for it to get a general idea of this series. I see that both reviewers had great impressions of the two novels, pointing to well-constructing characters and a certain humor. Despite their length, they seem like novels you can read quickly, as you get into them and want to finish them, so I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”