Review of The Past Speaks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of The Past Speaks

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Past Speaks" by Geoff McCue.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Martin Clement was fascinated with echoes and wanted to invent a device to capture pre-existing sounds. He enlisted a team to help him, but their prototype did not work. While working alone in his laboratory, Martin had a stroke of luck and got the device to function. He informed his team about this positive development but did not reveal how he made the tool work. As the story unfolds, it becomes increasingly crucial for Martin to keep this occurrence a secret.

Geoff McCue examines the intricate connections between private industry, government, and independent inventors in The Past Speaks. It is a modern-day techno-thriller that combines science fiction, adventure, and espionage elements.

The book explores time travel uniquely by using sound to look into the past. A device that records earlier conversations can be used instead of a classic time machine. The book provides a scientific background that is easy to understand and informative. However, it is presented more like a textbook, focusing on telling rather than showing. The story starts slowly as the science part lays the groundwork for the plot. Incorporating scientific discussions into the conversations can make them more engaging and less tedious.

The story follows Martin as he explores the device in different settings. He displays ingenuity and resourcefulness in getting around security and accessing information. However, some may find it unrealistic that Martin can get away with almost anything. The story could benefit from more tension to make the scenarios feel more realistic. The characters in the story are neither spies nor field operatives, so it makes sense that there are no fight scenes. The lack of physical combat is in line with the profiles of the characters.

The thriller component is more political, focusing on a power struggle over technological innovation. The plot involves murder, mystery, and espionage to illustrate the complex dynamics at play in inventions.

The most appealing aspect to me is the combination of different genres that provides an eye-opening, socially relevant theme. The story explores the intricacies of being an inventor in the present day. It presents a thought-provoking examination of inventions and their impact on the greater good.

The title is a fitting metaphor for sound and echoes, representing the different aspects of the story. Exploring the past is necessary to uncover the secrets that impact the present and future.

The story has some open-ended parts that suggest a possible follow-up. It creates curiosity but does not leave viewers feeling unsatisfied. Also, a romantic angle is introduced later in the story but does not add much to the main plot. However, it could be a potential setup for a future adventure.

I enjoyed reading the book, although I would have preferred it to be more action-packed. However, this is subjective. The unique interpretation of time travel and its significance in society outweigh my inclinations. I suggest the book explore the ethical and legal implications of a device that records past conversations. It will add more depth to the social aspects of the story.

I also noticed that the last paragraph of each chapter is center-aligned, which is consistent across all chapters. I am unsure if this is an intentional formatting choice, but it did not significantly enhance the reading experience. These observations are not negative aspects that would warrant deducting points.

This book is easy to read because of its conversational language. Although there are some swear words, the few intimate scenes only involve on-page kissing. The book is ideal for readers aged sixteen and above who enjoy science fiction, adventure, and amateur espionage. Religious groups will not find anything inappropriate in the material. It explores the mysterious death of Marilyn Monroe, which may interest those curious about the subject. However, those who prefer action-packed thrillers may want to consider other options.

The book provides a fresh perspective on a classic science fiction theme and delves into the complexities of invention and technology. However, some editing errors bring down its rating. I give it four out of five.

The Past Speaks
View: on Bookshelves
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Baggett Yori »

Your review of "The Past Speaks" by Geoff McCue offers a comprehensive analysis of the book's plot, themes, and style. It effectively summarizes the storyline, highlighting key elements such as the protagonist's invention and the political intrigue surrounding technological innovation. You appreciates the unique approach to time travel presented in the book, using sound to explore the past instead of traditional methods. The integration of scientific explanations into the narrative is commended for its clarity and informativeness, though the review suggests balancing exposition with more engaging storytelling techniques.
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

I am intrigued by this plot and would love to give it a read. Your detailed review has further piqued my interest. Thank you. I am looking forward to digging into this one soon.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This thriller with a science fiction element includes some plot ramifications that make it interesting even if the action is limited for this kind of story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

Your detailed review has piqued my interest and out of curiosity for Marilyn Monroe's death, I will add it to my must read list.
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Thanks for your detailed review, it made me interested in reading the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”