Review of 30 miles an hour

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of 30 miles an hour

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30 miles an hour" by Brandy Rex.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lucinda was driving to work and got involved in a road accident. She was unharmed but terrified by what had happened, so she contacted the authorities. Lucinda was waiting for the sheriff when several masked individuals attacked her. In an attempt to get away from her attackers, she ran into the woods and became disoriented. Deeper into the forest, Lucinda saw a farmhouse. She learns of a ritual involving a young girl set to take place. It puts Lucinda in a dilemma as a mother: save the young girl or ensure her survival to return to her children.

30 miles an hour by Brandy Rex is a paranormal thriller about the lengths people will go to for their families. However, it is a reminder that using extraordinary measures to keep loved ones alive may cause harm to others. The plot depicts a mother's determination to survive and return to her family. The leading character's maternal instincts go out for a child equally in a troublesome circumstance, despite the intense desire to be with family again.

The novel begins with a setting that seems apt for a gripping narrative. It provides an elaborate description of the scene and establishes the principal character's profile. It engages the senses as it describes the forest and the protagonist's feelings as she experiences the outdoors. I found the story remarkably interesting in how it demonstrated survival and resiliency. The lead character employed the same ordinary objects as a tool to handle a specific issue and as a defensive weapon. The primary focus of the action and tension was making it out of the wilderness alive. The paranormal component entered the narrative towards the end and became less prominent. It gave the impression of resolving the conflict a little too quickly. It lacked the vividness of the forest scenes from the earlier part of the narrative. The characters in the paranormal section are no different. They lack the main character's level of development. Additional background information on the otherworldly elements and character development for the supporting cast will give more perspective. It will provide a new level of excitement and tension that is just as captivating as the scenes in the forest. On the flip side, some lacking details worked to its advantage. After reading the novel, I began to speculate about various areas due to the lack of information. Speculating on a story after reading it indicates it had an impact, which I consider a good thing.

The readability of this book is its major drawback. It was a struggle reading the story because of the sentence structure and editing issues. There were two types of sentences: long ones made up of independent clauses and short, unfinished fragments. I had to go back and reread several times to be sure what they meant. I am unsure whether it is a preferred writing style, but it did not flow well to my liking. Additionally, parts of the book with missing lines made it challenging to follow the narrative. This book will be easier to read after another round of editing and proofreading.

The language is conversational, and the words are direct. Although there are a few light profanities, there is no explicit sexual content or material offensive to any religion. This book is ideal for readers aged thirteen and above who enjoy survival thrillers with a paranormal twist.

The story provides a promising premise but needs more work on execution. I am dropping a star for my concerns on the paranormal part and another for the editing concerns. Hence, the book receives a rating of three out of five.

30 miles an hour
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I enjoy paranormal fiction so might find this exciting to read because of that element. Your insights into the sentence structure are interesting and will provide useful feedback for the author. And I agree - stories that linger in the mind after reading have clearly had an impact.

Thanks for this insightful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Baggett Yori »

As a prospective reader, this review offers a detailed assessment of "30 miles an hour" by Brandy Rex, providing insights into the plot, characters, writing style, and overall reading experience. The review praises the novel's premise, highlighting its portrayal of a mother's determination to survive and return to her family amidst paranormal elements and a gripping narrative setting. It appreciate the descriptive scenes of the forest and the protagonist's emotions, which engage the senses and establish a strong connection with the lead character.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have good potential, hindered by an execution that still needs some work to flow well and of course proper proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

That sounds like a lot going on with this woman…
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

Your analysis of the sentence structure is intriguing and will give the author insightful criticism. Because I like paranormal fiction, I could find this to be an interesting read.The novel's idea is praised in the review, which also emphasizes how well it captures the story of a mother's will to live and return to her family in the face of paranormal components and an engaging narrative setting. I appreciate your frank assessment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”