Review of The Brain Drips Yellow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of The Brain Drips Yellow

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Brain Drips Yellow" by Burn Moor.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Burn Moor's "The Brain Drips Yellow" blends absurdist fiction and psychological realism, tinged with elements of horror, plunging readers into the tumultuous inner world of Bill Butler's existential crisis. Despite outward signs of success, including a model family, a lavish home, a luxury car, a high-ranking executive role at Willis Corporation, and a recent family vacation to a top-tier resort, Bill feels like a puppet, lacking passion and identity. He grapples with degrading demands from his boss, while his marriage hangs by a thread, sustained more by stability than genuine love. Even his relationship with his daughter is shrouded in uncertainty.

Bill's artistic teenage daughter, Katharine, believes that yellow symbolizes sickness and reflects the darkest depths of a troubled mind on the verge of collapse.

Through narrative techniques such as inner monologues, flashbacks, and streams of consciousness, the story delves into Bill's psyche, where his fragile mind swells until reality blurs. He grapples with the crushing realization that his life lacks meaning. His mind becomes a whirlwind of confusion as he encounters hallucinations and surreal figures like the demon in a dream-like state, blurring the lines between reality and illusion. Reflecting on his childhood experiences, Bill wrestles with feelings of inadequacy and shame, haunted by memories of being singled out and ridiculed.

The narrative oscillates between Bill's internal struggles, surreal encounters, and real-life relationships.

Moor's debut novel is the best book I've read this year. The characters are depicted in a highly relatable manner, and their relationships with Bill are portrayed realistically. This book evokes a rollercoaster of emotions—I began by viewing Bill as pathetic, then felt anger towards him, and ultimately experienced a profound sense of sympathy and empathy, particularly when he visits his unpleasant father on his birthday.

The novel is intricately crafted, from the hypnotic speech of Father Presto, a magician turned man of the cloth, to the bustling conversations at Betty’s Beauty Salon, which are filled with gossip and occasional philosophical musings. The depiction of the company where Bill works, along with the nature of its business, serves as a testament to the author's creative prowess. Each scene, from his mystique encounter with Mother Rasta to the interactions with his friend Mark, and his intimate moments with his wife, is expertly crafted.

The book appears to be well-edited, as I only noticed a few minor mistakes while reading, which do not detract from my overall assessment. There is nothing I dislike about this book. I wholeheartedly give it 5 out of 5 stars.

"The Brain Drips Yellow" echoes the narrative styles of literary titans like Franz Kafka and Haruki Murakami, exploring existentialism, surrealism, and the intricate complexities of human consciousness. Fans of these authors would find it a compelling read.

The Brain Drips Yellow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Wow, Claudia! You discovered a diamond-in-the-rough. Your review tells me that this story is riveting as the reader embarks on a journey to discover the workings and horrors of Bill's mind. From outside appearances any other man would be envious of Bill's success. It goes to show that we never really know how happy people are. The fact that the reader can start by looking down on the main character, then feel anger toward him, and then feel sympathy for him is a good clue to the author's character-building ability and thought-provokong writing skill. My interest is piqued. Thank you for this thorough review. :techie-studyinggray:
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Interesting summary. Maybe a unique portrait of psychopathology
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Terry Kimble »

Oh my goodness! If this book is as fabulous as this review, I'm all in! I truly can't wait to get my hands on it! :techie-reference:
Lucas Tavares 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lucas Tavares 1 »

Em resumo, "O Cérebro que Pinga Amarelo" é uma obra singular e provocativa que desafia as convenções literárias e convida o leitor a mergulhar em um universo de reflexão e imaginação. Embora sua narrativa fragmentada e densa possa representar um desafio para alguns leitores, aqueles que se entregarem à jornada de Barnabé certamente serão recompensados com uma experiência literária enriquecedora e estimulante.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

From your review, I gather that this is a wonderful book exploring Bill’s mind as he grapples with blurred lines between reality and his mind. You hated Bill at the start, which slowly transitioned into sympathy. The author definitely did a good job writing his protagonist. This seems like a good book to read over the weekend. Well done on your review! As always, I enjoyed reading your review.
Runan
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Thank you Claudia for your detailed review, I'm interested in reading this book, because I like psychological and horror stories, if they are as well-written as this one looks to be.
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Gerry Steen wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 19:58 Wow, Claudia! You discovered a diamond-in-the-rough. Your review tells me that this story is riveting as the reader embarks on a journey to discover the workings and horrors of Bill's mind. From outside appearances any other man would be envious of Bill's success. It goes to show that we never really know how happy people are. The fact that the reader can start by looking down on the main character, then feel anger toward him, and then feel sympathy for him is a good clue to the author's character-building ability and thought-provokong writing skill. My interest is piqued. Thank you for this thorough review. :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you, Gerry! This is a very skilled writer, and the book is absolutely one of a kind. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I believe you will too. Thank you again, and have a lovely day!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Osvald14 wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 04:56 Thank you Claudia for your detailed review, I'm interested in reading this book, because I like psychological and horror stories, if they are as well-written as this one looks to be.
Thank you very much for reading my review and leaving feedback. You would definitely enjoy this book if you like the genre. All the best!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Runan wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 16:42 From your review, I gather that this is a wonderful book exploring Bill’s mind as he grapples with blurred lines between reality and his mind. You hated Bill at the start, which slowly transitioned into sympathy. The author definitely did a good job writing his protagonist. This seems like a good book to read over the weekend. Well done on your review! As always, I enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you very much, Runan. I really appreciate your comment. It's definitely a great read, a bit of horror for the weekend! All the best!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Terry Kimble wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 13:24 Oh my goodness! If this book is as fabulous as this review, I'm all in! I truly can't wait to get my hands on it! :techie-reference:
Thank you, Terry, you're too kind! The book is great, definitely better than my review! If you get the chance, read it, and I look forward to reading your review. All the best!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Kristin Cowan wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 12:26 Interesting summary. Maybe a unique portrait of psychopathology
Thank you very much, Kristin. This book is exactly a portrait of a man's mind going crazy and unable to find meaning in life. It's very well executed. Thank you again. All the best.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very detailed review. It shows how much you loved this book. Your review certainly piqued my interest. I love to read books centered around psychology. Added to my to-be-read list!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a unique blend of elements that transcend genre in a case in which labels are limiting. Its peculiar characters offer an original vision of human consciousness in what is probably a mind-twisting story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 14:59 This seems like a unique blend of elements that transcend genre in a case in which labels are limiting. Its peculiar characters offer an original vision of human consciousness in what is probably a mind-twisting story. Thank you for your great review!
Grazie mille, Massimo! And you are spot on; this is indeed a mind-twisting tale. All the best!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”