Review of The Wrong Side of Revelry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Review of The Wrong Side of Revelry

Post by Abraham Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wrong Side of Revelry" by Jeffry A. Head.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Wrong Side of Revelry by Jeffry A. Head is a captivating crime fiction novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. The story follows Detective Decker as he delves into the dark and twisted world of murder and deception.

In the chaotic world of New Orleans, Detective Decker is assigned to investigate the death of the Queen of Carnival, killed during the Rex Ball. He soon finds himself embroiled in a web of intrigue. Meanwhile, a shooting at a local temple leaves a trail of dead Jews in its wake. Decker teams up with the feisty Gail, who suspects foul play in the death of her partner's daughter. As more people wind up dead, are these cases all connected?

The author does an excellent job of building tension and suspense throughout the novel. The pacing is spot-on, with twists and turns that will keep readers guessing. One of the standout aspects of the book is the attention to detail that the author brings to the story. The descriptions pulled me into the gritty world of the investigation. The dialogue is sharp and realistic, adding depth to the characters and making the interactions between them feel authentic.

The author's depiction of sexual violence, racism, and anti-Semitism is a crucial aspect that adds depth and complexity to the narrative. The exploration of these themes provides valuable insights into these societal issues, making the story more thought-provoking and engaging for readers. The intertwining of these themes with the central plot creates a multi-layered and compelling narrative. By addressing these challenging themes with sensitivity and insight, he creates a compelling and thought-provoking read that resonates with readers on a deeper level.

Detective Decker was my favorite character. He was a complex and compelling character, whose backstory added depth to the story. His determination and grit made him an inspiring protagonist. The way the author handled the character's backstory and emotional journey was masterful.

The only aspect I did not like was the influx of characters. The author introduced a large number of characters from the very start, which was overwhelming and confusing. This took away from the enjoyment of the story and made it difficult to follow the plot. While the story is full of intrigue and suspense, the large cast of characters can make it difficult to fully appreciate.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. My dislike was not enough to detract a star. It was professionally edited, as I found some errors. This book is a gripping and intense read that will appeal to fans of crime fiction. If you are looking for a page-turner that will keep you guessing until the very end, then this is the book for you.

The Wrong Side of Revelry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Thanks for your review. I was interested in this book and I appreciated your words, I doubted if to select it or not, but now I think that it would be a good choice for me.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

A thriller that is suspenseful until the end is already interesting and this novel also addresses important issues digging into some dark sides of humanity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”