Review of Waterworks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emmanuel Asamoah 5
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-asamoah-5.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein
fav_author_id: 248825
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 47%

Review of Waterworks

Post by Emmanuel Asamoah 5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Waterworks" by Jack Winnick is an action-packed thriller that delves into the terrifying possibility of a terrorist attack on a major city's water supply. The fifth installment in the Lara and Uri series, this novel follows the married couple, both Mossad agents, as they work to uncover and prevent a deadly plot orchestrated by the Iranian regime to poison the drinking water of Los Angeles with polonium.

Winnick masterfully weaves together a complex narrative that spans multiple locations, from Tehran to Los Angeles, as Lara and Uri go undercover to infiltrate the Iranian military and intelligence agencies. The author's attention to detail and extensive research into the science behind the poisoning and the inner workings of the Los Angeles water supply system lend credibility to the story, making the threat feel all too real.

The characters, both familiar and new, are well-developed and engaging. Lara and Uri's relationship is at the heart of the story, and their unwavering commitment to each other and their mission is both admirable and emotionally resonant. The supporting cast, including the villainous Iranian generals and the dedicated Homeland Security agents, adds depth and complexity to the plot.

Winnick's writing style is fast-paced and engaging, with short chapters that keep the reader turning pages. The action sequences are vividly described, and the tension builds steadily as the story progresses towards its climactic confrontation. The author's ability to blend technical details with character-driven storytelling makes for a satisfying and immersive reading experience.

The editing of the novel is top-notch, with no noticeable errors in grammar, punctuation, or formatting. The clean and polished text allows readers to fully immerse themselves in the story without any distractions.

I rate "Waterworks" 5 out of 5 stars for its gripping plot, well-developed characters, and the author's attention to detail. While the novel's premise is undeniably frightening, Winnick handles the subject matter with sensitivity and a clear understanding of the real-world implications of such an attack. It is worth noting that I found no negative issue with this book, so there is no reason to deduct any stars.

"Waterworks" is a must-read for fans of international thrillers and those who enjoy a well-researched, action-packed story with high stakes and compelling characters. Jack Winnick has once again delivered a page-turner that will keep readers on the edge of their seats until the very end.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“There is beauty in our unity no matter how harsh that war is, and no matter the result or winner. There is beauty even in losing if we do it together."
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read the first two Lara and Uri thrillers and I appreciated how Jack Winnick took inspirations from real events to create stories that are plausible centered around threats against the USA and Israel. I see the other sequels are great as well, so I plan to read them all! Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”