Review of Jointers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of Jointers

Post by Chris Agbara »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jointers" by Red C. Legion & Jonathan DeSterling.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jointers is a mesmerizing journey through the dark heart of Semperville, skillfully crafted by author Red C. Legion and co-authored and illustrated by Jonathan DeSterling. This novel transcends genre boundaries, weaving together elements of mystery, horror, and supernatural intrigue to deliver a truly unforgettable reading experience.

At the center of the narrative is Johnny Warrant, a rock star grappling with his own demons who is summoned back to his hometown by an ominous phone call regarding his supposedly deceased brother, Nick. What follows is a descent into a world where reality and nightmare intertwine as Johnny confronts the sinister influence of Jointers, a new burger restaurant with a taste for darkness.

One of the novel's greatest strengths lies in its atmosphere, which is expertly crafted to evoke a sense of creeping dread. From the flickering neon signs to the unsettling hum of "Jointers," every detail serves to immerse the reader in the eerie setting of Semperville.

The characterization in "Jointers is equally compelling, with Johnny Warrant emerging as a deeply flawed yet compelling protagonist. His journey is both relatable and otherworldly, as he navigates the shadows of his past while unraveling the mysteries of his hometown.

The fusion of mystery and horror in the plot is seamless, keeping readers on the edge of their seats as the lines between reality and nightmare blur. Legion's narrative builds tension relentlessly, leading to a climax that will leave readers questioning reality itself.

Jonathan DeSterling's illustrations further enhance the novel, capturing the grotesque beauty of Semperville and its mysterious inhabitants with striking detail, which further adds to the dread.

However, one aspect of this book that is lacking is that the author often employs a telling writing style rather than showing. While this may be a matter of choice, the telling style negatively limits immersion in the story. That aside, Jointer remains a fascinating piece of literature that deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. Furthermore, the book was exceptionally well edited and error-free.

In conclusion, Jointers is a symphony of dread—a literary masterpiece that defies conventions and challenges readers to question their own perceptions. If you're looking for a tale that will haunt you long after the final page, look no further than Jointers.

Jointers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Interesting concept. It sounds like the primary character may be an unrealiable narrator, yet his experience is real. Reminds me of a young adult campy show.
Judith Wright 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 353

Post by Judith Wright 1 »

I tend to scroll quickly through these reviews and seldom find a book I would actually like to read. You've written a well-thought out review and done a nice job conveying the sense of drama and suspense. I'm a fan of this genre and your review would tempt me to buy the book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing blend of elements from different genres enriched by the illustrations, probably the type of novel that is only limited by genre labels. The result is suspenseful and stimulating. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Saliha Hussain »

This sounds like a fascinating story that isn't restricted by genre designations, combining themes from several genres and enhancing them with graphics. The end effect is exciting and suspenseful. You've done a great job of capturing the tension and drama in your well-written critique. I love this genre, and your review is enticing me to pick up the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”