Review of One Deadly Souk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Review of One Deadly Souk

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Deadly Souk" by Oscar Ortiz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Agent Delta wants nothing but to enjoy the rare vacation away from his dangerous job, but his bubble of happiness is busted when Agent Phi, his lethal and beautiful partner, tells him that they are being summoned by their boss to Cali, Colombia. Yuri Pavenkov, an ex-KGB nuclear saboteur who was previously thought dead, is now trafficking weapons on the black market. Fifteen years ago, Delta thought he killed Yuri Pavenkov, but now, in his early forties, he is sent to finish the task. However, things are infinitely more complex because his agency branch in Miami has to collaborate with other branches and agencies, which won't take a second to betray them.

The narration was engaging and descriptive, with the perfect balance between telling and showing. This created vivid imagery and brought the complex geo-political situation to life. The plot was smoothly enacted, with the three-act structure being followed to create suspense and page-turning tension. There were several foreshadows, and the constant dangers kept me hooked. There were so many suspects and all the possible ways the plan could go wrong that I was only able to guess. However, despite all this chaos, all the loose ends were tied, and there were no plot holes. The plot was character-driven. I like how, despite the stranded circumstances, Agent Delta's decisions moved the plot actively. Since a significant part of the background takes place during major world events like the Cold War, the facts were skillfully integrated into fiction. The history remained accurate and fit into the timeline. The book was professionally edited, with almost no errors that I could spot. 

However, there were two shortcomings, according to me. Patrick lacked emotional depth as a character. I was not involved emotionally with the characters. I did not feel sympathy for all the harsh situations he had to face throughout his life. Lastly, the romantic relationship between Agent Delta and Agent Phi was not portrayed properly. There was no sexual tension between them, and their interactions felt forced and superficial. 

I recommend this book to people who like action and adventure novels. Fans of Ian Fleming's James Bond will certainly appreciate this novel. Considering all the above arguments, I rate One Deadly Souk three out of five stars.

One Deadly Souk
View: on Bookshelves
Ni_weh_sesh62
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Thanks for the intriguing glimpse into One Deadly Souk! I'm curious to see how Agent Phi and her partner handle the chaos. I am a forever James Bond fan
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The character development in this book is outstanding. Each character is unique. A truly engaging read.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a thriller that is engaging in many ways thanks to the intrigue that involves spies and different agencies. Too bad some parts are not developed properly, though they might not spoil the whole reading experience. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”