Review of Irrevocable Acts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Bailout Conspiracy by Frank Latell

Review of Irrevocable Acts

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Irrevocable Acts" by Jonnie Hyde.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Irrevocable Acts by Jonnie Hyde, 65-year-old Anna decides to leave her life behind, leaving her daughter, Kate, and young granddaughter, Gracie, not knowing what has happened to her. She writes two letters, one to Mac, a University of Wisconsin professor, and the other to Danny, who works for Pinyon Landscaping, asking them to meet with her at a remote cabin at the Broken Trail Lodge. Why did Anna take such drastic measures by abandoning her family in a way that can never be changed, and what is her connection to Danny and Mac? Grab a copy of this crime thriller to find out.

With characters in their 60s and 70s, Jonnie Hyde did a fantastic job revealing how past actions can affect one's life far into the future and how you can never run away from your past because memories last forever. As someone who has always been interested in global warming, I liked how this issue was one of the themes in this story. Each of the three parts of this story flows smoothly into the next, and the ending leaves room for a sequel, which I hope Jonnie decides to write. Each character was fully developed and had a significant role in the plot. I had to laugh when Gracie made retching noises when she was served broccoli because it was something a small child would do.

There was one paragraph within a lined border for no apparent reason. I would have preferred that the Spanish words had been translated, and I did not care for Anna's leaving her family without discussing her plans with them because she could have eased their anger, fear, and confusion. However, this added to the mystery and suspense of this novel, and none of these negative aspects affected my rating of 5 out of 5 stars for this professionally edited book. There was no reason for me to deduct any stars from the rating because the many positive aspects discussed above outweighed the negative aspects. I enjoyed reading this well-written book.

This book is suitable for mature readers who want to learn more about global warming and controversial events in the 1960s and 1970s that resulted in many protests. However, the non-borderline profanity and drug use content make this book unsuitable for young or sensitive readers.

Irrevocable Acts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
F A 16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by F A 16 »

Based on the review, "Irrevocable Acts" by Jonnie Hyde seems like an intriguing crime thriller that explores themes of past actions and their repercussions, with well-developed characters and a suspenseful plot. The inclusion of elements like global warming and historical events adds depth to the story. While some aspects like untranslated Spanish words and the protagonist's abrupt departure from her family may not appeal to all readers, overall, the book received a glowing 5-star rating for its professionalism and engaging storytelling.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful review. Anna's reason for leaving her family must be a valid one but then it makes me wonder what is at stake for her to make that kind of decision. Irrevocable Acts by Jonnie Hyde sounds like the kind of book one will finish in one sitting.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

A must read for anyone who enjoys thought-provoking literature.
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta

Post by Saliha Hussain »

"Thanks for sharing your insights on 'Irrevocable Acts' by Jonnie Hyde! It sounds like a compelling crime thriller with well-developed characters and intriguing themes. Your review highlights the author's skill in addressing the lasting impact of past actions and incorporating relevant issues like global warming into the narrative. It's great to hear that despite some minor issues, the book still earned a top rating. Thanks for recommending it to mature readers interested in thought-provoking stories!"
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

A crime thriller that addresses important issues that concerned the recent past and are important today in the way they'll affect the future is interesting and I'm curious about Anna's choice. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”