Review of The Killers’ Therapist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Review of The Killers’ Therapist

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Killers’ Therapist" by Jonathan David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Doctor Jack Tripper is a psychotherapist who specializes in helping serial killers reintegrate into society and make choices about their actions and behavior. He has a unique perspective and is working on developing a therapy program to assist his patients. However, while conducting his research, he seems to have other motivations beyond his professional goals. In addition, he feels that someone is tracking him and could reveal his true intentions.

Jonathan David's psychological thriller, The Killers' Therapist, delves into the intricacies of the world of serial killers, exploring their personalities, methods of operation, and how they manage to integrate into society, making them appear less of a threat than they are. The book also highlights how law enforcement overlooks them and provides insights into various methods of reformation and rehabilitation.

The psychological thriller has the necessary elements that make it captivating. The story uses manipulation, memory loss, and mistrust to induce paranoia and intensify the suspense. The use of domestic settings, playgrounds, and prominent names makes it more relatable, which raises fears about the possibility of such incidents. The unstable minds of dubious narrators and familiar elements reinforce the main story twist. The book gradually reveals information to generate suspense and then shifts the events at the last minute to keep the surprise intact. Its effectiveness as a psychological thriller rests on how it opens further speculation after reading. It leaves enough elements open to pique curiosity without leaving readers feeling unsatisfied. The book stands alone but hints at the possibility of a sequel.

The book explores various social issues, but what stood out to me was its emphasis on providing a safe and healthy environment for children. The book highlights how abuse and trauma can have severe consequences for a child's development into adulthood. Additionally, the book addresses the subject of "great force" in the 12-step program. It offers alternative viewpoints based on nature and science, in addition to the traditional religious interpretation. These alternative perspectives make the topic more accessible to a wider audience, catering to individuals who may not be interested in discussions centered solely around faith.

The story presented as notes from therapy sessions and journal entries is fitting, but the formatting affects its readability. It is a drawback that I noticed in this book. The therapy notes do not indicate who is speaking; they are only questions and answers between the patient and therapist. The indication of a speaker change is a paragraph indent. Quotation marks are used for direct speech in journal entries, but when the dialogue moves to other speakers, the paragraph remains the same. There are also some typographical errors where some dialogues lack the appropriate quotation marks, making it challenging to confirm the speaker. I had to go back several times to check who was speaking. To enhance readability, I suggest reconsidering this concern.

The book uses conversational language and simple vocabulary, which makes it easy to follow the plot. However, it includes profanity, sex, and violence, so it is only suitable for adult readers. Sensitive readers may react strongly to scenarios involving child molestation, sexual assault, and gore. The book does mention faith and religion, but it is respectful of religious organizations. Readers who enjoy psychological thrillers and are interested in the intricacies of criminal minds, serial killing, psychotherapy, reformation, and rehabilitation will find this book appealing.

The book presents a gripping story with insightful observations highlighting important social issues. However, I must deduct a star because of some formatting concerns and editing errors. Despite these, the book remains a captivating read, and I give it four out of five.

The Killers’ Therapist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Saliha Hussain »

"Thanks for sharing your thoughts on 'The Killers' Therapist' by Jonathan David! It sounds like a gripping psychological thriller with deep insights into the world of serial killers and psychotherapy. Your review provides valuable feedback on the book's formatting and readability, as well as its exploration of important social issues. Overall, it seems like a compelling read for fans of the genre. Thanks for the recommendation!"
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The Monster of Florence
Bookshelf Size: 38
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Jonathan David's writing in this book is exceptional , descriptive and precise.The journey taken by the reader as well as the psychotherapist is equal. You would swear I was also in the room.

The book starts with patient 0314. I don't think I would survive being a psychotherapist without losing my mind . This particular patient takes us through a journey of violent and sexual assault by a cousin during his early childhood. This highlighted for me how fragile the human mind is to certain misunderstood occurrences in our lives. The patient seems to love seeing his victims bleed to death and him stabbing and sexually assaulting women gives him an increased urge to keep improving and doing better than before.

" Don't be surprised when a killer kills, be surprised when a killer doesn't kill" - Dr Tripper. Dr Tripper is the psychotherapist behind the other table but If you were in the room , I'm sure you would not have noticed the difference. He spends his life killing also and looking for people that kill. He knows where to find them that kill and when . He is an exceptionally smart Doctor treating highly smarter patients.

My favorite patient is a female patient who has been killing since the age of nine. Patient 0213 The candy killer. This girl finds ways to make his victims kill themselves. But surprisingly she has no target market. She just picks randomly anyone she feels deserves to die. This I believe is one girl who has killed more people than she has had candy.

I feel like the patients in Dr Trippers life are turning him into excatly what he has always wanted to be . I think he is a Doctor that has always wanted to be the patient or even better, has always been the patient. His line of work is entirely oppositie to one of a Detective. He is the leader or orchestrator of killers. In this case he is the creator of serial killers.

The book is perfectly descriptive , straight to the point and characters are easier to pin point while he has his sessions with them a 4 out of 5 for not really letting us in on who , where he comes from and why Dr Tripper landed this far. The editing skills were also fair but I'm not complaining.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Women with Partners in Prison by Gini Graham Scott and Peter Anderson

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Sounds like a good read. The highlight of childhood influences on adult behavior adds some depth.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

Structuring a novel as a journal is tricky, and one of the reasons is that conversation transcripts might not be easy to read. It's funny seeing serial killers psychoanalyzed by Jack T(he)Ripper! Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”