Review of Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1659
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: A Fated Beginning by Neko Craft
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3" by Michael Richey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Michael Richey’s Deadly Sexy Lizzy Volumes 1–3 is a trilogy set in Los Angeles, following Madeline Elizabeth Jackson. Preferring to go by Lizzy, she was a valedictorian with a promising future until the death of her mother. After she attempts suicide twice, Lizzy is admitted to a mental institution. Burt Sterling, a corrupt politician, visits Lizzy and claims he knows who killed her mother. They strike a bargain, and Lizzy is released. Burt plans to use Lizzy to take down Victor and gain the favor of the voters. Burt agrees to Lizzy’s plan to rob Victor. They use Burt’s son, Gabriel, and his hitman, Tommy King, to set up the mob boss.

The plan goes off with only a few issues that are taken into stride. The results cause Victor’s mansion to be destroyed, his money stolen, and his arrest by Gabriel. While interrogating Victor, Gabriel demands Victor pay him five million dollars in three days for the name of the “rat” in Victor’s gang of henchmen. Meanwhile, Jimmy Gunn is shocked to be leaving San Quentin prison. Jimmy was in prison after taking the blame for Victor five years prior. Jimmy learns that Victor’s fortune was stolen and agrees to help his former boss again. Tommy tells Victor a foolproof plan to regain his fortune. Unbeknownst to everyone, Lizzy’s devious master plan is just beginning.

Deadly Sexy Lizzy Volumes 1–3 contain multiple characters who are part of the dark criminal underworld. Each book starts with a list of key characters. This made it easy to follow the character development of each person. For instance, Lizzy starts as a sweet and innocent redhead college student. Each encounter she has with Burt, Victor, and multiple other characters causes her to evolve into her alter-ego, Machiavelli. The transitions between the points of view of the main characters are seamless. The end of the saga follows a theme that was provided in the first book: “The world needs a hero instead of people following someone, whether they are morally corrupt.”

There were a few negatives I found in all three books. The sentences have no spaces between the punctuation marks. For example, when one sentence ends with a period, the following sentence starts at the period without allowing a space between the two. The final book includes flashbacks to events that are exact copies of those in the previous two books, making it feel like I was reading everything all over again.

I rate this trilogy three out of five stars because of the editing issues and repeated scenes in the third book, which impacted the overall experience. However, the unpredictable plot, intriguing conversations, and exceptional character development are redeeming qualities in Deadly Sexy Lizzy Volumes 1–3. The vivid details made every moment easy to envision.

These three books are best suited for mature adults who like crime novels. The profanity, violence, and graphic sex scenes may offend some people. The trilogy explores the journeys of shady politicians, mob bosses, and mercenaries, prompting readers to question whether a "hero" will rise from the darkness. I chose Tommy King and Jimmy Young as possible heroes. To find out if I was right, you will have to read Deadly Sexy Lizzy Volumes 1–3.

Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3
View: on Bookshelves
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Post by Saliha Hussain »

"Your review of Michael Richey’s 'Deadly Sexy Lizzy Volumes 1–3' provides a thorough analysis of the trilogy's intricate plot and character dynamics. It's helpful to hear your perspective on the seamless transitions between characters and the evolution of Lizzy's persona. The issues you mentioned regarding editing and repeated scenes in the final book are valuable insights for potential readers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!"
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Miedo a Subir de Peso: Qué es. Por qué lo tienes. Cómo reprogramarlo
Bookshelf Size: 2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I really like crime novels, and it seems like Lizzy has a dark origin story. I do wonder how you feel about her having an alter ego. I sometimes get tired of authors using this or "multiple personalities" to explain things, but perhaps it's not the case. What an interesting review!
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1659
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: A Fated Beginning by Neko Craft
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 19:16 I really like crime novels, and it seems like Lizzy has a dark origin story. I do wonder how you feel about her having an alter ego. I sometimes get tired of authors using this or "multiple personalities" to explain things, but perhaps it's not the case. What an interesting review!
She doesn't actually have mutliple personalities. Machiavelli is the name she uses for not being recognized. In normal day to day activity, she is known as Lizzy, the sweet waitress that is a well-adjusted girl.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Writings for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 432
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Last year, I started the first book and then gave up because I found the errors too distracting. I'm happy that you managed to read the whole trilogy and assess its merits, so I might give it another try if the author did proper proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”