Review of Shooting Bogies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Review of Shooting Bogies

Post by Martina Sette »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shooting Bogies" by Ralph Monti.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"When Rocky Delmonico, a big-money golf hustler, attends the funeral of a neighborhood mafioso, he inadvertently disrespects an old-world tradition of the grieving mob family. His life quickly goes awry when he’s told he must make amends."
This is the plot of "Shooting Bogies" by Ralph Monti, a great crime thriller that takes readers on a wild ride through the dark side of society. The author crafted a complex plot with deep characters, creating an incredible story that keeps readers engaged from start to finish. At the beginning of my reading, I wasn't expecting a book so interesting, but I had to change my mind! I liked it a lot, and I read it in very little time.

What I enjoyed most about this novel was how well the characters were developed. From the sly gangsters to the merciless investment bankers, each character had a distinct and well-defined personality that created the perfect atmosphere for the story. The main character, Rocky Delmonico, was interesting because of his imperfect yet relatable nature. He was easy to empathize with and his story, even in dangerous situations.

Another aspect I liked a lot was the author's ability to blend elements of suspense, action, and dark humor. He had some cool stories to tell, and each one was better than the last. He mixed them up to make a story that's super exciting and you never know what's coming next. From Delmonico's initial faux pas at the funeral to his desperate attempts to navigate the dangerous world he finds himself in, every twist and turn will keep readers on the edge of their seats. Furthermore, when a book is well edited, it must be acknowledged, and this is precisely the case. I didn't find a single error, demonstrating the author's excellent skills.

I rate "Shooting Bogies" 5 out of 5 stars, and the reasons are above. I enjoyed every aspect of this book and found nothing negative about it. Monti's writing is so good! It's super interesting and I couldn't stop reading it from the start. Whether you're a fan of crime thrillers or simply enjoy a well-told story, this book will satisfy you, and fans of authors like Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen will especially appreciate it.

Shooting Bogies
View: on Bookshelves
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta

Post by Saliha Hussain »

"Thanks for sharing your thoughts on 'Shooting Bogies'! It sounds like a thrilling read with well-crafted characters and a gripping plot. Your enthusiasm is contagious—I'll definitely have to check it out!"
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Martina, judging from your review, I would say that you found a gem of a book. You have me sold on the plot and the crafty writing skills of the author. I love a good Mafia story. Come on Rocky! What were you thinking?! Thank you, Martina, for recommending this book. :techie-studyinggray:
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Brief First Encounter by Thomas Miezejeski

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Excellent review! I'm always on the lookout for novels featuring intricately crafted characters, suspenseful plots, and a touch of dark humor.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Priya Murugesan »

An excellent review! I am waiting to read this book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

I really look forward to reading this crime thriller after reading your review. Rocky finds himself in troubled waters and has to navigate himself out of them. The plot is exciting, and the dark humor is what I look forward to in this book. Well done on your review!
Runan
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very intriguing and worthwhile read. Your review highlights the most enticing and appealing aspects of the story and I am definitely interested in knowing more. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

In this kind of thriller there's the risk of resorting to stereotypes in creating the characters but I see that the author developed them with real personalities in an engaging plot full of twists that makes me curious. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The combination of suspected plot, thriller, and dark humour adds an intriguing flavor to the book. Your review has only fueled my desire to dive into this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”