Review of Call Me Adam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Theater of Lies by Ted Griffith

Review of Call Me Adam

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Call Me Adam" by Jo McCarty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story follows Louie, who contemplates suicide multiple times after losing his mother and his job, only to wake up alive each time, leading him to question his mortality. Meanwhile, a pandemic grips the world, leaving Katherine and her colleague Sharon stunned by the desolation. Louie, the last survivor in his town, contacts Katherine, revealing the extent of the pandemic's devastation. Katherine reluctantly cares for baby Ana after her mother's death. As the pandemic worsens, relationships fray and mysteries deepen, ultimately leading to shocking revelations about immortality and interconnected destinies. Louie and Katherine find solace and love amidst chaos and uncertainty, embracing their roles as Adam and Eve.

Call Me Adam by Jo McCarty is a captivating tale of intertwined destinies, mortality, and resilience in the face of adversity. The narrative starts with Louie grappling with the enigma of his repeated survival despite multiple suicide attempts and Katherine navigating the chaos of a pandemic. As their paths converge, a connection unfolds, leading them on a journey of self-discovery and redemption. McCarty has written a narrative rich in mystery and emotion, exploring themes of life, death, and the power of human connection. With its engaging plot and characters, Call Me Adam is a thought-provoking read that lingers long after the final page.

Ricky is my favorite character in the novel. I admire his decision to return to Sharon's house with his sister, even though it seemed unsafe. He displayed courage and loyalty by choosing to stay with his family, even when uncertain about their future, without following Katherine. He had to do all he could to protect his sister.

I found the story to be a mix of fear and emotion. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. One aspect the author excelled at was creating suspense throughout the narrative. It was impossible to predict what would happen next. Living in a lonely world is scary. The author skillfully brought every scene in the book to life with his writing style.

I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. While the main storyline was resolved satisfactorily, I felt that some subplots were left unresolved or lacked closure. For example, the fate of certain secondary characters like Grider and Adra remained unclear, leaving me with unanswered questions. Apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this captivating story. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy suspenseful narratives, readers interested in mystery books, and those who enjoy reading about a world grappling with a pandemic and the aftermath of societal collapse.

Call Me Adam
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jackson Seketi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jackson Seketi »

mortality as the key word there,,,I love the book cause it's very encouraging,, when one is searching for courage and comfort this is the right book
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

The inclusion of a pandemic and the theme of immortality in the same book is an interesting choice, used in a suspenseful novel that is developed in a way that seems really dramatic, as it involves the fall of society. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”