Review of A third is darkness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Review of A third is darkness

Post by Nancy004 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A third is darkness" by Murray Bailey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In A Third is Darkness, the third installment of the BlackJack thriller series by Murray Bailey, readers are taken on a thrilling journey through the vibrant yet treacherous streets of 1950s colonial Hong Kong. Bailey expertly continues the story from previous books, delving into the intricate social and moral challenges of the time. As readers navigate the affluent areas of Hong Kong and the sinister, barbaric parts of the city, they are drawn into a world of entitlement, corruption, and grittiness.

Charles Balcombe faces a daunting challenge: his alter ego, BlackJack, is on a rampage, leaving a trail of bodies in Hong Kong's criminal underworld. Desperate to contain BlackJack's violence, Dectective Inspector Munro urges Balcombe to seek help from therapist Georgina Swift. Meanwhile, Munro enlists Balcombe's help in a covert, off-the-books investigation involving the disappearance of the governor's aide-de-camp's daughter. As they delve deeper, they uncover a disturbing conspiracy. With tensions mounting and danger lurking at every turn, Munro grapples with conflicting emotions towards Balcombe, torn between using his skills and fearing his dark side. In the shadows of 1950s colonial Hong Kong, trust becomes a scarce commodity, and secrets threaten to shatter lives. Amidst it all, Garrett remains skeptical of Balcombe, still viewing him as a suspect in the ongoing investigation into the Squeezed-Heart murderer.

One of the most captivating aspects of the story is the insight we gain into Charles Balcombe's psyche through his sessions with psychoanalyst Georgina Swift. Despite Balcombe's reluctance to fully disclose the depths of his inner turmoil, these encounters offer a fascinating glimpse into the mind of a killer. We witness the intricate workings of his thoughts and emotions, gaining a deeper understanding of the complex factors that shaped him into the tormented individual he perceives himself to be.

Murray Bailey skillfully spins a tale that keeps readers hooked from start to finish. With its twists and turns, the story keeps you guessing until the very end. Bailey's vivid descriptions bring the bustling streets of Hong Kong to life, immersing you in the city's vibrant yet gritty atmosphere.

What sets this book apart is the depth of its characters. Each character feels real and relatable, thanks to Bailey's careful development. In particular, the protagonist, Charles Balcombe, undergoes a compelling journey of internal struggle and redemption. As you follow his story, you can't help but empathise with his struggles and root for his eventual redemption.

I couldn't find anything to criticize in this book. Murray Bailey's storytelling is flawless, keeping readers hooked from start to finish. Additionally, I didn't spot a single grammatical error, highlighting the author's meticulous writing. For the best experience, I strongly suggest reading the first two novels in the BlackJack series beforehand. It enhances the overall enjoyment and understanding of the characters and storyline.

I would rate the book a solid 5 out of 5 stars without hesitation. Murray Bailey's masterful storytelling, combined with intricate character development and a gripping plot, make it an exceptional read.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of suspenseful thrillers who enjoy intricate plots, well-developed characters, and immersive settings. Additionally, readers who appreciate stories that delve into the darker aspects of human nature and explore psychological depth will find this book particularly compelling. Furthermore, those who have read and enjoyed the previous novels in the BlackJack series by Murray Bailey will undoubtedly appreciate this thrilling installment.

A third is darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anaïs Quesson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Hi Nancy, I hope you're doing well.
Congratulations on this detailed and incredibly well-written review. I'm very intrigued by this novel! Especially by the psychoanalysis details. I'll try to get my hands on the first two novels before trying this one, as you rightfully recommend.
Good job on this review! I'm looking forward to reading more soon :gay-rainbow:
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Birthright
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel from another series written by Murray Bailey was reviewed here on OBC in the past and gave me a positive impression. I can say the same thing about this novel that offers a well-constructed thriller with suspense until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

This review of "In A Third is Darkness" by Murray Bailey portrays it as an exceptional read. The reviewer praises the author's flawless storytelling, gripping plot, and intricate character development. The setting of 1950s colonial Hong Kong is vividly brought to life, immersing readers in the city's vibrant yet gritty atmosphere. The protagonist, Charles Balcombe, undergoes a compelling journey of internal struggle and redemption, making him relatable and root-worthy. The inclusion of psychoanalytic sessions adds depth to Balcombe's character and provides fascinating insights into the mind of a killer. The reviewer rates the book a solid 5 out of 5 stars without hesitation and highly recommends it to fans of suspenseful thrillers with well-developed characters and immersive settings. Overall, this review suggests that "In A Third is Darkness" is a must-read for those who enjoy intricate plots and exploring the darker aspects of human nature.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”